steering box rag joint replacement

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
jopadorr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: delhi,ny

steering box rag joint replacement

Post by jopadorr »

I want to replace the rag joint on my 1968 w100 with a u-joint- does anyone know the shaft diameter and spline count of the shaft comming out of the box?...has any one done this one before and have any input?...thanks- John in Delhi

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Re: steering box rag joint replacement

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Borgenson makes them, trying to find my bookmark :pale

achille
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Washington

Post by achille »

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

You don't want to replace the rag joint with a ridgid u-joint like a Borgeson. The rag joint is there because the cab is mounted in rubber and there is some movement between the cab and steering box, especially when going over rough terrain. The rag joint is there to allow that cab movement.
1969 Adventurer W100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Check there website good for they do have the ragjoints, I found them a few years ago, and was shocked to find them in production, even with that said, everyone who has changed to IFS has eliminated the rag joint, what movement their is would be handled fine with a ujoint :Thumbsup

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Borgeson offers a rag joint... I just ordered one for a newer W250. They have
a listing for '72-'93... try them for an older one :Thumbsup
John

powerwagonpaul
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Las Vegas Nevada

Post by powerwagonpaul »

you can get the rag at almost any auto parts in the HELP section. about $10. i keep a spare under the seat for my W200. has saved me a few times.
69 w200 "Trevor"
67 W200 "Travis"

"Dodge Power Wagon, when turn around and go back is not an option"
71 Plymuth Valiant \6

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Check there website good for they do have the ragjoints, I found them a few years ago, and was shocked to find them in production, even with that said, everyone who has changed to IFS has eliminated the rag joint, what movement their is would be handled fine with a ujoint :Thumbsup
Robin, most who have changed to an independent suspension have the steering located in front of the wheels so that the steering shaft runs more horizontally than stock. That puts the movement in a different direction. Even then I think not having some provision for movement in the steering shaft is a bad idea. With the cab and steering mounted in the stock location any movement of the cab is almost a direct pull or push on the rag joint. Why do you think they break? I don't have a rag joint now since I changed to Prototech and have a slip joint in my steering shaft, but my original rag joint had pins that fit into slots that would allow amost an inch of movement. If you know that the cab moves, and you know that the steering box does not move, why would you tie them together solidly. You are asking for a failure.
1969 Adventurer W100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

The fatmanfab kit has the Rack on the back side of the crossmember towards the cab, no Rag joint, and I don't recall seeing a slip set up either, the cab is bolted to the frame with next to nothing for cushion, just very slim rubber mounts in the front not even 1/2", that do next to nothing to absorb any shock, street driving I doubt that would be a issue maybe thats why the fatmanfab and Riedtecht don't have rag joints, granted it would be good to have something, but if you look at the street rodders, etc. etc. very hard to find a ragjoint or slip rod setup, my rag joint has no pins, and I added larger washers and grade 9 nuts trying to eliminate the play it adds to the steering :pale

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

When I replaced mine (used off the shelf Help part) I was seriously considering making a metal doubler like a large flat washer for the top and bottom of the rag joint like a sandwich to give the joint a little more stiffness. I may still do that, I have a great assorment of hole saws that should make it an easy job.

wittyhoosier
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Great Lakes, IL

Post by wittyhoosier »

I replaced mine from the "HELP!" section. It fit like it was supposed to. Only thing is, PO had done the same thing but tossed the original bolts. I used the bolts in the kit that fit tightest in the box's side slots so as to eliminate as much torsional play as possible.