front disc brake conversion for 61-71 D100

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
IRISH70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

front disc brake conversion for 61-71 D100

Post by IRISH70 »

Current issue (May, '08) of CLASSIC TRUCKS has an article (pgs 81-87) by Brad Gigliotti, apparently living somewhere in central California or greater Bay Area, who contributed this chronicle of sorts about his experience installing disc brakes on his 1967 D100 sweptline, having a straight front axel. His source of information came from a company he found on the forum, SCAREBIRD, from what he said.

I contacted the company, received a reply from guy named Mark; he sent me some information (which I printed out) on procedural steps and a list of parts needed to do the job. Apparently he is a source for converting these vehicles (primarily 1/2T) to front disc. However, he knows nothing of the article or its author, was totally unaware of it existing. I did convey to Mark as much info from the article as it gave me.

My point is that if there is a source knowledgable out there on doing such a conversion, and someone has undertaken this conversion, I would want to spread the word and connect untied ends so to speak. I know Robin (kingmpoar44@comcast.net) has ideas of developing such a conversion, so I forwarded what info I had to him.

I personally want to investigate the probability further. My interest is to be a catalyst for others who might want more infor. Be glad to pass on what I found thus far.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: front disc brake conversion for 61-71 D100

Post by Hobcobble »

IRISH70 wrote:Current issue (May, '08) of CLASSIC TRUCKS has an article (pgs 81-87) by Brad Gigliotti, apparently living somewhere in central California or greater Bay Area, who contributed this chronicle of sorts about his experience installing disc brakes on his 1967 D100 sweptline, having a straight front axel. His source of information came from a company he found on the forum, SCAREBIRD, from what he said.

I contacted the company, received a reply from guy named Mark; he sent me some information (which I printed out) on procedural steps and a list of parts needed to do the job. Apparently he is a source for converting these vehicles (primarily 1/2T) to front disc. However, he knows nothing of the article or its author, was totally unaware of it existing. I did convey to Mark as much info from the article as it gave me.

My point is that if there is a source knowledgable out there on doing such a conversion, and someone has undertaken this conversion, I would want to spread the word and connect untied ends so to speak. I know Robin (kingmpoar44@comcast.net) has ideas of developing such a conversion, so I forwarded what info I had to him.

I personally want to investigate the probability further. My interest is to be a catalyst for others who might want more infor. Be glad to pass on what I found thus far.
Is Brad Gigliotti "Devil Brad" from this forum? :thinking .... I'm pretty sure he owns a light beige '67 D100 short box... :thinking
John

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Sounds like devilbrad. He doesn't come around much anymore though.
Doug

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

i'm kinda confused (nothing new). the Scarebird disc brake conversion, isn't that the same kit that has been for sale here on our forum for about 2 years now? i know when i bought mine it was Talzag, but i thought i had heard whomever was producing it had changed names or something.

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Yes username Tallzag is the guy that runs the Scarebird website...I think. Anyway i was the test rat for his first set of diskbrake caliper brackets. The setup uses 93-95 Crown vic rotors and 83-88 i think chevy halfton truck non heavyduty calipers and rubber lines. I still have this setup on my 67 shortbed and its been the greatest upgrade thus far ive done to the truck. My 67 is my daily driver and has been for over 3 years. I put at least 75-100 miles a day on her. Im over 5000 miles on the brakes and no problems so far and stops 100 times better then four wheel drums! And the install is so easy its like the stuff was factory equipment. I did have to run new hardlines from the splitter block to each side up front but it was easy as pie.
Now i heard you cant get the caliper brackets from scarebird anymore. Not sure though.

Ill be listing my complete disk brake setup on here for sale here shortly because im going to a IFS setup in a couple months. Either a FatmanFab mustang II setup or Jim Meyer HD IFS setup

IRISH70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by IRISH70 »

All 4 of you (John, Doug, Matt) are on the right wave length, with Cliff's message summarizing general information I also found through Robin in Denver. Other information indicates AAJBrake (Portland,OR) has a kit available.....Done business with him before, so a follow upis in order there. Another source to investigate is UglyTruckling I am told.
Cliff, when you are ready to sell your parts, feel free to contact me. Might be about time I am ready to do something. Phil Hurt, Irish70, paperchase40@msn.com .
Thanks, guys for the clearing up of shirt-tail info I found.

devilbrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pacifica/California
State: CA

Post by devilbrad »

Yes, I wrote the article. I also contacted Scarebird about it before committing and was given an email confirmation from Mark to go ahead and do it. Still have the email saved. Tallzag no longer offers the kits, they were supplied by Scarebird.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

I could be wrong but it wasnt a true kit that tallzag AKA scarebird was offering. It was just the caliper brackets that allowed you to use store bought parts; rotors,calipers,brake hoses ect. I guess if you wanted to spend more money they would supply all the stuff but that would be crazy being you could just get all the stuff at any auto parts store. Im going to make a template of mine when i remove the entire front suspension for the IFS install. That way if anyone wants to just make them ill have the template for them.

devilbrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by devilbrad »

CLIFF wrote:I could be wrong but it wasnt a true kit that tallzag AKA scarebird was offering. It was just the caliper brackets that allowed you to use store bought parts; rotors,calipers,brake hoses ect. I guess if you wanted to spend more money they would supply all the stuff but that would be crazy being you could just get all the stuff at any auto parts store. Im going to make a template of mine when i remove the entire front suspension for the IFS install. That way if anyone wants to just make them ill have the template for them.
Exactly, they only supply the brackets. For some reason they forgot my sidebar that listed all the parts required with the part numbers.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

devilbrad wrote: For some reason they forgot my sidebar that listed all the parts required with the part numbers.
I think it was all listed in the text. I would have to recheck though. :study

devilbrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by devilbrad »

soopernaut wrote:
devilbrad wrote: For some reason they forgot my sidebar that listed all the parts required with the part numbers.
I think it was all listed in the text. I would have to recheck though. :study
Ha ha, yeah, it was, just not part numbers. Surprisingly, I dont have a copy of that issue, LOL Girlfriend took the one I bought at store and my subscription hasnt shown up yet.

Scarebird
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Albuquerque
State: NM

Post by Scarebird »

"Im going to make a template of mine when i remove the entire front suspension for the IFS install. That way if anyone wants to just make them ill have the template for them."
Let's not do that for several reasons - my attorney takes a dim view of such knaveries is chief among them. :shame

devilbrad, thank you for the coverage - I was sent an issue gratis and was surprised by the excellent coverage. I am working on modding Aspen rotors into hubs that can be used instead of the machining needed to the originals. I will alos supply info on how to do this yourself.

If you require a rear set to play with, email me and they are yours.

I am also looking to doing earlier model Dodge trucks, and Swepty 3/4 tons. I would be happy to cut a sweetheart deal with a party that can provide a spindle to play with. I spotted a 3/4 ton 70 today, but Pull-a-Part does not allow cutoff saws, and am I out of cordex...

Scarebird
Last edited by Scarebird on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowdogg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Snowdogg »

I will be doing this coversion on mine in a couple of months so I need a list of part #'s for what I'll need to but at the local parts shop INCLUDING wheel stud"s. I've had a hard time trying to find the correct size stud's Anyone one have a part # for these studs for the front? :thinking

Scarebird
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Scarebird »

Part Application NAPA Wagner Raybestos
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rotor 1995-97 Crown Vic front 86492 BD125476 66492
Caliper, LH 1988-91 GMC 1500 Reg. Cab 342-2136 L116290 RC4416SS
Caliper, RH 1988-91 GMC 1500 Reg. Cab 342-2137 L116291 RC4415SS
Brake Hose LH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van 36855 F102464 BH36855
Brake Hose RH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van 36956 F102465 BH36956
Banjo Bolt 1988-91 GMC 1500 Reg. Cab 82703 DORMAN Part # 13940

Mopar used several different suppliers for the drums, and they had 3 different sized studs. Dorman 610-103 is one. Best approach is to use an ARP or Moser stud and cut down to length.

devilbrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by devilbrad »

I had supplied a list of part numbers in a nice little chart for the article, but for some reason they didnt publish it. I used Moroso studs, the part number 4311 WAS in the article, and they do need to be cut down.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

hey scarebird my intentions were not to sell them but to only let someone make there own if they wanted to. But this was only going to happen if it was true about the brackets not being made anymore.
Cliff
by the way thanks for getting involved with our truck hobby!

Scarebird
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Scarebird »

no problem - we are doing the 3/4 ton and A100 stuff too...

Jonesnit93
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tempe
State: AZ

Post by Jonesnit93 »

Scarebird wrote:
Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:42 pm
"Im going to make a template of mine when i remove the entire front suspension for the IFS install. That way if anyone wants to just make them ill have the template for them."
Let's not do that for several reasons - my attorney takes a dim view of such knaveries is chief among them. :shame

Scarebird
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
*Driver of the Green Meanie*

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Jonesnit93 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:29 pm
Scarebird wrote:
Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:42 pm

Scarebird
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WTF? U've been a member a year and the only post u have made is an emoticon to a TWELVE YEAR OLD THREAD?????

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:51 pm
WTF? U've been a member a year and the only post u have made is an emoticon to a TWELVE YEAR OLD THREAD?????
If the post is useless, then why do you care?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org