brake problem vs. weight

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
intheprojects

brake problem vs. weight

Post by intheprojects »

Got a new project (w200) that Ipulled the box off of. It was trashed, none of it worth saving. Thing is, when I test drove it, the rear brakes would lock up, and it seemed like the fronts weren't doing a whole lot of anything. I didn't get a chance to drive it before the removal of the box, so I can't tell you if it did it or not before. A friend tells me it is because of the box not being on and there not being enough weight on the back axle, which makes some sense, but I think it's a brake issue, not having anything to do with the box. Anyone have any thoughts?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Is there fluid in both the front and back half of the reservoir ?
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

brake

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Actually it could be that the front brakes just need to be adjusted, for they are to have the most pressure to stop the truck, thats why you have 11" drums on the front and 10" on the back, I'd pull the front and take a look to see whats their? :Thumbsup

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

how long was it settint up ? the weight of the box should not make it so light to lock up the tires , just make it ride rough, I'ed start by pulling & cleaning all the drums & check the springs & shoe's for where , you can also pull the cap off the master cyl & stick your finger to the bottom & check for slug , if it's thick try cleaning all the lines out & the M cyl also , just unhook the lines from the wheel cyl all 4 & see if they drain good luck :2cents
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: brake

Post by digdoug »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Actually it could be that the front brakes just need to be adjusted, for they are to have the most pressure to stop the truck, thats why you have 11" drums on the front and 10" on the back, I'd pull the front and take a look to see whats their? :Thumbsup
It sounds like you are talking about your truck. A stock 68 w200 has 12''by2'' drums front and rear. :thinking
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

CHECK ADJUSTMENT, AND PULL THE REAR DRUMS AND LOOK FOR LEAKS. A LEAKY WHEEL CYTLINDER GETTING FLUID ON THE BRAKES WILL LOCK THEM UP FAST. OR GLAZED FRONT SHOES WILL MAKE THE REAR OVER WORK CAUSING LOCK UP AS WELL!
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

One more thing to check is your park brake cables. If they are real rusty and you set the brake, sometimes the springs aren't strong enough to return the rear shoes, makeing them touchy. Doug
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD