front end rebuild

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
67D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

front end rebuild

Post by 67D100 »

Question,
I have never rebuilt a straight axle front end before and I have a few questions from some of you who have. Who makes the best rebuild kit and where can I get it? Even after I'm done rebuilding it, will it handle much better than it did? What I mean is, aside from the expected body roll, will a straight axle front suspension feel tight? Currently, my truck feels like the front end is going to fall off (probably bad kingpins) and want to know if its worth the effort. I know its easier to rebuild what you have versus installing a late mode frame clip with disc brakes. I'd like to know if anyone who has a freshly rebuilt front end actually notices a vast difference. Also, who rebuilds and/or reproduces a decent manual steering box? I believe that's contributing to my handling dilemna as well. Thanks. :salut :salut

achille
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Washington

Re: front end rebuild

Post by achille »

Try some of this,for starters..viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13439&hilit=bronze :salut This may help also.viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13366&hilit=saginaw. :Thumbsup

MarsMonster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle/WA

Post by MarsMonster »

Hello,

I completely went through the front end of my 1966 truck. New king pins and spring eyes. I got my king pins at Shucks here in Washington State about 6 years ago. I noticed a vast improvement in driving.

When I got the springs down from the truck I noticed that ONE of my front upper spring hangers would not move front to rear as it should. It was seized. This is a serious problem because it made the truck drive with a wierd twist to it when you would hit a bump.

On my truck the hanger has a pin on it that goes through a bronze bushing, and there is a grease fitting on it.

To resolve the issue with the bronze bushings I had to drill out the 3 rivets on the frame that hold the front upper bronze bushing barrels in place. I then had a machine shop press in new bushings. I bought all my spring eyes and bronze bushings from a company I believe was called ESPO. I used grade 5 bolts where I had removed the rivets. I was told that grade 8 would be too brittle for that application.

I had my king pins pressed in by a machine shop for about $30.00.

Hope this helps.
Dave
1966 D100
SW
360 A727

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Yes rebuilding is going to give you SIGNIFICANT HANDLING IMPROVEMENTS :Thumbsup I did mine the last time in 1990 even rebuilt the steering gear box in 2001. I would take you for a ride and we could do 100+ on the highway and it stays in its lane and you feel safe :salut I've also added Ranchero 5000 shocks and was totally taken for a VERY, very, pleasant surprise at how nice it rides and it is very difficult to get any body roll, even at hard turns.
Keep in mind with the straight axle you only have 3 moving parts/and look at the Big Rigs they all have straight axle, why? they are 1. Stronger
2. less moving parts
3. once aligned they hold forever/unless you tear up the front/as opposed to IFS where they will only gaurantee to hold the alignment for 6 months
4. the straight axle setup will have less body lean than the IFS
5. you can have a good ride by changing springs if not satisfied with current ride just contact http://www.eatonsprings.com read on their website also :Thumbsup

67D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100 »

Thank's everyone for the replies. My wife and I just had our 4th child so I haven't been visiting the site lately. I appreciate the info. :clap

achille
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Washington

Post by achille »

CONGRATULATIONS. :salut

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Get your truck ready! Your child will love it :Thumbsup :salut :dance :clap :goodpost