help wanted with steering arm for lifted w-200

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
3onthetree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: MI

help wanted with steering arm for lifted w-200

Post by 3onthetree »

I recently purchased a 65 w-200 and I'm planning on putting a 6" suspension lift on it and need some help figuring out what to do with the steering arm angle as mine does not have an adjustable arm.Any help would be much appreciated.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Re: help wanted with steering arm for lifted w-200

Post by nfury8 »

Are you using the lifted steering block?

The best solution I have seen is to make an adjustable one, like a tie rod with hiem joints.
Pismopowerwagon has a good example here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13890

I am also curios if there are any tie rod ends that could be used?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Are you planing on running the stock front axel?

Doug

3onthetree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3onthetree »

I have not been able to find a steering block for it as mine is a four bolt and all the lift companies I called only make a three bolt for the later models.
I did read in another posting where they modified a chevy rod to work.
Anyone know where to find a steering block?

Thanks

3onthetree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3onthetree »

digdoug wrote:Are you planing on running the stock front axel?

Doug
Yes I am.
I also want to convert to disk brakes

moparmike
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eldorado kansas

Post by moparmike »

3onthetree wrote:
digdoug wrote:Are you planing on running the stock front axel?

Doug
Yes I am.
I also want to convert to disk brakes

i think this may work havent tryed it yet though my idea is to use the backing plates,calipers,spindel and hub/disk from a mid 70s 3/4 ton chevy with external lockouts i know you can do this to the 72-74 dodge front but i think the chevy stub shaft is used aswell so i belive the only part that may cause a problem in instaling on a closed knuckel front end is stub shaft length
the chevy backing plate is around 3/8" thick may increase track width slightly ?
if any one has done this could you PLEASE tell me if iam right or wrong
im fairly sure it can be done but it may take some custom machine work
there are proably more than one or two guys who would be instrested if this works if i can find a chevy axel for parts im intending to attempt doing this this summer hate useing chevy parts but they are more common and cheeper than dodge stuff and i always thought that a closed knuckel /disk brake axel would be nice you could even use your stock lockouts! if im wrong someone stop me before i buy more junk i cant use

mm

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Did Chevy use a closed knuckle disc brake setup?

Sorry, I forgot the closed knuckles were a 4 bolt top, I was thinking about my 71 which
has a newer axle and the 3 bolt knuckle.

If you want disc brakes also, then the most straight forward solution is going to be
using a late 70s-80s Dodge axle. This will give you the 3 bolt knuckle, and disc brakes.
It will have to be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton also, to get the 8 bolts. I am currently searching
for one myself right now. Found one a couple weeks ago and didn't jump on it,
it was gone quickly. :banghead

3onthetree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3onthetree »

nfury8 wrote:Did Chevy use a closed knuckle disc brake setup?

Sorry, I forgot the closed knuckles were a 4 bolt top, I was thinking about my 71 which

If you want disc brakes also, then the most straight forward solution is going to be
using a late 70s-80s Dodge axle. This will give you the 3 bolt knuckle, and disc brakes.
It will have to be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton also, to get the 8 bolts. I am currently searching
There is also a guy named Ray from from Helitool (ugly truckling) that will machine down the stock hubs to accept a supplied backing plate and use chevy rotors & calipers for about $350.....doesnt solve the steering issue though.
I'm wondering if I could take my arm to a machine shop and have them make a 6"block to go under it and just use the stock drag link?
would the tires clear it? would it flex to much?

moparmike
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by moparmike »

if you are going p/s put a jeep gear at the front of the frame buy or make arms to go on top of the knuckels mount your tie rod up top with a crossover draglink
look at the rock crawlers in 4x4 magizines
i have a plan to do something simmilar with my 64 and one of thease days when its warm again ill proceed
if your going to run it hard you should find a dana 60 from a 87-93 w250 (diesel)you would still have fab work but it's a nearly indistructable axel kind of pricey but if you hunt the junkyards you may find a good deal they usaley run $400-$600 in my area you may find a parts truck cheaper

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

3onthetree wrote:

There is also a guy named Ray from from Helitool (ugly truckling) that will machine down the stock hubs to accept a supplied backing plate and use chevy rotors & calipers for about $350.....doesnt solve the steering issue though.
I'm wondering if I could take my arm to a machine shop and have them make a 6"block to go under it and just use the stock drag link?
Ray doesn't offer a disk kit for the hd44f 3500 lb axel (big knuckles) All the 65-68 W crews I have seen came with this axel.Is this the axel in your truck?

3onthetree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3onthetree »

digdoug wrote:
3onthetree wrote:

Ray doesn't offer a disk kit for the hd44f 3500 lb axel (big knuckles) All the 65-68 W crews I have seen came with this axel.Is this the axel in your truck?
mine has the small knuckle...the tag on the door jamb says it's a Chry. A745 ?????

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

A745 is your 3spd transmission.
John :Thumbsup

3onthetree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3onthetree »

Hobcobble wrote:A745 is your 3spd transmission.
John :Thumbsup
thanks that makes more sense!

3onthetree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 3onthetree »

moparmike wrote:if you are going p/s put a jeep gear at the front of the frame buy or make arms to go on top of the knuckels mount your tie rod up top with a crossover draglink
look at the rock crawlers in 4x4 magizines
i have a plan to do something simmilar with my 64 and one of thease days when its warm again ill proceed
if your going to run it hard you should find a dana 60 from a 87-93 w250 (diesel)you would still have fab work but it's a nearly indistructable axel kind of pricey but if you hunt the junkyards you may find a good deal they usaley run $400-$600 in my area you may find a parts truck cheaper
I like this idea....tell me more

moparmike
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by moparmike »

all i have is an idea currently i will let everone know when weather permits more research and measurements