Ideas for a Lift?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
BikeRider
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntington Beach, Ca

Ideas for a Lift?

Post by BikeRider »

I am looking to do a 2"-3" lift on my D200 Utiline. I plan to use it for light trails and fire roads (and on the road) and couple the lift with a set of 33 tires. This is my first true "project car" and while I have experience with doing body work this is going to be one of my first attempts at truly customizing a vehicle.

I found a suspension lift kit from Skyjacker, but it is for W200's and I have my doubts about it working with my rig. What suggestions can you make regarding this? Is there a way to get the lift with the least amount of hassle? I thought I read about adding leafs somewhere but I wanted to check with all you first.

BikeRider
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Ideas for a Lift?

Post by BikeRider »

I am thinking that implementing an "add-a-leaf" on the front and rear might give me an inch...maybe two. I am also looking at replacing the stock shocks. Is there one preferred shock that seems to give a better ride over another?

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

mine is just a 2-wheel drive and I added a leaf in the front..It was for the rear of my buddies truck so I had to cut it...It's a little stiff and doesn't fit perfect, but it works...gave me about 2" then I put 2" blocks in the back...the pic I have doesn't have the blocks in the rear yet...you can always go to a spring shop and they will usually add a leaf and re-arch your springs..
Attachments
morecrewcab 003.jpg
1967Crewcab 021.jpg
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

BikeRider
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BikeRider »

Awesome truck and great info. Thanks!

I don't think there are any spring shops around me but I will ask around at couple privately owned repair shops (not to many of those left in my area) and see if they point me in the right direction.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

spring re-arching here in town seemed a little pricey..if I remember right it was around $200-$250...I've never looked, but if they make add a leafs for a power wagon I'm sure they would work..
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

BikeRider
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BikeRider »

Well, I got my two inches of lift...sorta.

I replaced the front and rear shocks with SkyJacker's Nitro shocks which instantly lifted the truck a little and smoothed out the ride significantly. I knew the shocks needed to be replaced, but when my buddy and I pulled the first shock off the rear of the truck we burst out laughing to see that it the shock had almost zero resistance to it :thinking .

BikeRider
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BikeRider »

I was looking through my manual and noticed that the width, length, and number of springs is identical between the D200 and the W200. I take it you can switch out the D series springs for the W series springs?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I know some people mentioned that they lowered a D series truck by using W leaf springs. I guess they are flatter. I don't know if they were 100 or 200 springs though.

jonx4x4
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Duncan, OK

Post by jonx4x4 »

Ive got a list of leaf springs by dimensions in one of my notebooks. Ill take measurements on the springs on my 1-ton frame and look for some compatible springs tomarrow. Ill post back up with what I find. Would that help?