Steering Column Woes

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
moparman1975
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 23702

Steering Column Woes

Post by moparman1975 »

When I brought my 71 Home the steering column felt like it was about to come apart, I thought the screws that held the shift collar on came loose or something. I pulled it apart and noticed there's someting missing in there :thinking Underneath the turn signal cam there are 2 large phillips head screws that are supposed to hold the collar on, there is nothing below for the screw to go into :banghead What goes underneath??? Are there any popular colum upgrades out there while I have it torn apart, I'd rather swap it out for a known good column, any other columns fit?? This 71 is the first swepty I've seen since I moved here ((2 years ago )) so parts aren't going to be readily availible.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Steering Column Woes

Post by Hobcobble »

moparman1975 wrote:When I brought my 71 Home the steering column felt like it was about to come apart, I thought the screws that held the shift collar on came loose or something. I pulled it apart and noticed there's someting missing in there :thinking Underneath the turn signal cam there are 2 large phillips head screws that are supposed to hold the collar on, there is nothing below for the screw to go into :banghead What goes underneath??? Are there any popular colum upgrades out there while I have it torn apart, I'd rather swap it out for a known good column, any other columns fit?? This 71 is the first swepty I've seen since I moved here ((2 years ago )) so parts aren't going to be readily availible.
Perhaps you can start by posting your need for the column [automatic, three spd, 4spd?] and where you're located
in the "Parts Wanted" section and see what developes. :Thumbsup
John

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

You are only supposed to loosen those screws slightly. Apparently someone loosened them too far and the parts that they screw into fell into the column. Not the best design in my opinion but that's the way it is. You might be able to turn the column upside down and shake them out if the column is removed.
1969 Adventurer W100

wittyhoosier
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Great Lakes, IL

Post by wittyhoosier »

"the parts they screw into" are simply square nuts. There are slots in the column tube that the nuts catch to tighten the head to the column. You could probably find square nuts at the local hardware.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I couldn't remember if they were square or rectangular. Either way, they are still the parts the screws screw into.
1969 Adventurer W100