brakes job

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

brakes job

Post by centralwildcat »

So i took in the 69 CC to have "some brake work done" and found out I need EVERYTHING REPLACED!!! Well not everything, but dang near...leaky wheel cylinders x4, 2 new drums, busted brake adjusters, etc.... looks like about $1300 though :pale Merry Christmas :lol:
I accept paypal for donations :lol: :lol: Just kidding... but what the heck is the point of driving a rig when you got NO brakes? I'll let you know how it all turns out, mattc

MarsMonster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle/WA

Re: brakes job

Post by MarsMonster »

Matt,

I am not trying to question you mechanical skills, and I am by no means a master mechanic myself but I managed to do my own brakes. You just need someone to turn the drums. You would save a lot of money if you did the work yourself. When I did mine I replaced the master cylindar, the wheel cylindars, the rubber brake lines, the brakes on all four corners and had the front drums turned for about $300 tops. I got all the parts at Shucks. I have to admit that I did read the manual to make sure it went together the way it is suppose to. Oh, and there are some specialty brake tools that you might want to get also.

Dave
1966 D100
SW
360 A727

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Save yourself about $1000 and do it yourself :Thumbsup
Buy a double flare kit and a set of brake tools. :Thumbsup :salut
John

Stinky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Riverside, CA

Post by Stinky »

I just replaced shoes on all four corners on mine, spent about $70 (including hardware kits and cleaner). Get the tool for removing/installing the springs, and before you take the first one apart take some pics with a polaroid or digital camera. It's not 'changing oil' easy, but for a few hours work you can save a cool grand.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I did a complete, I mean everything, springs, rubber inspection plate inserts, brake lines, all 4 drums, hopefully this expresses that the entire system was replaced and I spent $638.00 and did it in my garage in San Antonio TX, save yourself money :salut :Thumbsup :study

UtilineD100

Post by UtilineD100 »

I'm currently redoing the brake system (master cylinder, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, etc.) on my 67 D100. All parts are readily available at Auto Zone. Just take it step-by-step and save a $1,000. Good luck!

centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by centralwildcat »

I apperciate the support, but as a father of 3, a full time firefighter, partime farmer, and full time idiot... I'm farming the work out...I understand the work is pretty reasonable to do myself, I'll try to learn from this expierence and take the time when the CSS resto comes into full speed...thanks for the support :lol:

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

GOOD REASONS :Thumbsup
If you can afford it then definetly an avenue to travel, just be sure to test and check the work thats done :study :Thumbsup

BikeRider
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntington Beach, Ca

Post by BikeRider »

Have your children do the work and tell them it will be good to know for later in life. I can thank my mom and dad for pulling that one on me....and I still haven't had a situation where doing the drums and shoes on a 83' Bronco has helped me get a job or impress a girl.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

thats because it is a Ford, I have had that experiance get me a job, and more importantly knowing how to work on a vehicle has won me numerous, numerous, did I mention numerous acquaitance with Women, that led to more than just talking :dance :dance now that I'm married, I have to watch out and not admit to knowing how to do this, cause not only does it bring women but their are those creatures that look like me called men who just walk up to me when I'm in my Sweptline and start asking questions on how to fix their cars :pale