Power Steering gearboxes years used to convert are??

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
SweptCrewCabs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Corpus Christi Texas

Power Steering gearboxes years used to convert are??

Post by SweptCrewCabs »

I want to purchase some powersteering gearboxes that others have used for the conversion from manual. I have 1977 Dodge w100 power steering box and pump right now, I have read others have used some model of Ford Truck power steering gearbox from a 2wd truck, I have a 1978 3/4 Ford, is this the year people have used for power steering conversions???? I also have read that some model of a toyota truck is also a candiate, who knows what year exact to ask for?? My attempt will be using a westtexas offroad souped up pump and a steering hyda cylinder to help turn the 11x16 tires I am trying t orun. Has anybody gone thru this and have any pictures or articles, I have seen all the just buy another axles or wait till i make them articles. I just like to hear from anybody who did it them self and has some pictures and years of pumps boxes etx to use, anybody have to buy custom made pitman ?? Where did u have your pitman made adjustable at??? I have 4 trucks to convert and am trying to find ready to buy rebuild boxes and them go from there. Thanks

Butch Romig
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: garnett ks

Re: Power Steering gearboxes years used to convert are??

Post by Butch Romig »

i have the prototech unit on my truck,tho they no longer produce them,my buddy made his own useing a ford pickup box like the one you are refering to,he made his brackets to mount it,had to cut a different hole in the frame for the pittman shaft to fit thru,he turned down the splined part of the pittman shaft,clamped the dodge arm on tight,then drilled where the two meet and inserted a rollpin to act like a keyway with a key in it,you have to be sure you have the pittman exactly where it should be before you drill and insert the rollpin/key,i dont have any pictures,but i do know he hooked it directly to his column without moving it
i dont know anything about the riceburners
butch

SweptCrewCabs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Corpus Christi Texas

Post by SweptCrewCabs »

Thanks for the information, i will remove both of the gearboxes and see how they look, sounds like the ford is the one to use.
WANT TO BUY A POWER GIANT FOR CASH
FOUR 64 w200 crewcabs, 68 crewcab, 67 w500, 68 w200 crew, 66 w200 winch, 11x16 michlins and 8 inch lift, West Texas Offroad power steering conversion, 45 foot hauler 91, 01, 07 3500 duallys with cummins

Blue67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Blue67 »

I have heard that the Toy box is not strong enough for our trucks and has turn to turn problems (less turning one way than the other) but have not done the swap myself.
Blue

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

I've been looking at the steering box on my Scout 2 and wondering. :thinking :study
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup