More questions on axles

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

More questions on axles

Post by wide65 »

I am wanting a dana 60/70 and if possible 4.10:1 gears.... Does this exsist. How can I tell what it is?

What other axles come with 4.10:1 that I can use ?

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Re: More questions on axles

Post by nfury8 »

Dana 60's are easy to spot, they are a full floating axle. Meaning the axle shaft is just a shaft, with no flange for lug nuts on the end, like an 8 3/4". I believe they are all 8 lug also. So when you look at the end of one, there will be the 8 lug nuts, but also there will be a cap on the end of the axle with 8 more nuts holding the axle in.

If you find a Dana 60 your odds are good it will have 4:10 gears, this was a very popular ratio for it.

What are your plans? The Dana 70 is a Monster!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: More questions on axles

Post by soopernaut »

Dana 60s are very common axles with lots of aftermarket parts available for them. They are full floating like nfury8 mentioned. They will have a protruding hub with bolts around the edge of this hub. This is to remove the axle shaft without removing the tire/wheel from the vehicle. All full floating axles will have this setup. There are also car versions of this axle that have 5 lugs and I don't know if they are full floating. You can also have custom ones built however you want them.
The Dana 60 will look similar to other axles like a GM 14 bolt, which may be even stronger, and the Sterling 10.25". You would probably have to go by the identification on the axle itself or look at pictures to see the differences. All these axles would be available with the 4.10 gear ratio. So would the Dana 70, 80, 90, etc. Unless you are going to be doing some serious offroading the Dana 60 rear/Dana 44 front should be enough or Dana 60s front and rear. If you go with a Dana 44 front don't go with the 75-79 Dodge full time axles.