rear suspension

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

rear suspension

Post by fosh69 »

Now that my truck is near road-worthy and I'll have a mobile project, I'm thinking of some suspension options for when I shorten the WB. Does anyone know a good 3-link setup/kit or do-it-yourself site where I can start researching this? I've read some on the internet, but have found very little in the way of what type of hardware to start gathering. I'd like to do this on the cheap, of course, but have no time-line. :study
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

Rusty_Quarters
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Madera
State: CA

Re: rear suspension

Post by Rusty_Quarters »

Do not know about three link, but, I have been looking at four link kits recently, and ladder bar set ups for sale on jegs website, they are not too expensive, a couple of hundred dollars, then you have to buy either air bags or coil over shocks which are quite a bit more, seems like the expensive part of any of these type of rear bar set-ups are the hiem joints, they are pretty costly and you have to get left and right threaded ones for them to work properly, I have been seeing more of these setups cheaper on the air bag sites, as they almost always require them for draggin frame on custom trucks.
To my son "...its not always important what I said, its important cause I said it." KEA

70 Dodge D100 no longer 4x4
68 Dodge Superbee (Real not Clone)
68 Jeep Jeepster
2007 Honda Civic SI
2005 Nissan Pathy

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

fosh69
do you have a welder??? I'll post a link to the website G-force, I've been reading, and will eventually make a setup for mine for cornering, & performance :thinking funny I'm going to shorten mine also :idea

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Here

OK
I found it guys, this will give ya some idea of what is going on with not only the rear, but what they are doing to created "G" force, there is NO WAY I would pay that kind of money however this gives ya an idea of what to do, I will fabricate and make some for the rear of my truck, but I'll do it at a fraction of the cost :salut
http://www.maxgsystems.com

CHECK IT OUT :2cents

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

Rusty: yeah, I saw the heims are expensive, but on Extreme 4x4 they mentioned if you find a kit without the threaded bungs they are less expensive... so I look on e-pay and found some kits that seemed pretty reasonable (I think).

Robin: I found a 61 shorty frame (bare) for $250, as soon as I get a way to transport it and some extra coin I'm going to get it. I already have the short bed (also a 61), but if you want to get together on anything like fabricating, let me know. I only have my oxy/ace right now, but will be looking into the right equipment or someone who has it. (The early 60's sheet metal is all to go along with my theme, you see.) Also I took a glance at that site... looks like a good setup for a unibody car, but do you think all that metal would be necessary in a full frame truck if the frame was boxed? Check out these, for instance: http://www.artmorrison.com/frames/truckframes.cfm
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

MoparKid340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MoparKid340 »

that kit from suacide doors is good i used one on a nissan hard body i slammed last year.
the heart beat stops here!
68 d100 sb 360
73 340 duster
71 charger

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

fosh69,
no I don't think all that will be neccessary on our trucks, however, I'm going to use a little of there idea to keep the rear end under the truck in cornering and exerting "G" force, I would love to get together for fabricating and exchanging what we have learned, When should we do the truck warming???? I change days off maybe we could do Saturday Nov 1st??? or I'm off on friday,(halloween). I'm also in the process of acquiring a welder (look out) :study

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

Thanks for the input slick and MoparKid340, I'll look into that.

Robin, give me a little more time and I'll get back to you... my parts are still on back order and I have to do a little more ringing out on the truck before taking it down the road. Cool?
4eye 69

OO\===/OO

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Cool! :salut

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Robin, you lookin to switch to a short bed?
Doug

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes
I'm going to shorten to Short Whell Base truck, I'm going to get the measurements and start after I get a place with garage in March, will also change to disc, powersteering at same time, along with some more body modifications :salut

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Yes
I'm going to shorten to Short Whell Base truck, I'm going to get the measurements and start after I get a place with garage in March, will also change to disc, powersteering at same time, along with some more body modifications :salut
I thought you were big on the idea of not cutting the frame.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Wow soopernaut, you have one good memory, and yes your right, and I'm trying to deal with it, I read and have an article from Classic trucks they did that on a 64 Chitty, and I'm coming to terms with the fact the frame would have to be cut behind the cab, I'm planning on also boxing the area, I'm very centamental about making sure its the exact frame and exact body, and would box this area, and your right, I have a HUGE issue with cutting the frame, but it will make it lighter also :idea and then again I may chicken out, for maybe it would make better history, if I keep it LWB??? but I've already been seeing a therapyst :pale by the way how is the body swap going??? I've thought of a future possible project doing that also???? :thinking not this truck yet another one :salut

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Wow soopernaut, you have one good memory, and yes your right, and I'm trying to deal with it, by the way how is the body swap going??? I've thought of a future possible project doing that also???? :thinking not this truck yet another one :salut
I do have a good memory.

I haven't started the body swap yet. I haven't brought the frame donor truck home yet because the guy who has it is trying to get rid of a bunch of other trucks that need to be moved fast. I will probably have it before the end of November. I also don't know if I'll start this Fall/Winter. I have a 24x30 garage that is unheated but insulated and I would like to park my daily driver and my 70 in there. I'll have to decide soon though.

devilbrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pacifica/California
State: CA

Post by devilbrad »

You may want to read this. Its some tech articles written by Bill Shoppe from the factory Chrysler/Dodge Ramchargers race team. There are plans for 4 and 3 links in the articles. http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Please post as your doing it, for I've got a thought that I may do that with another truck, which in turn would be an extra, setup so the wife could easily, and want to drive it (keep her away from mine), it seems the fastest way to do the update :salut

sireland67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sireland67 »

Soopernaut
As for heat in your garage have you ever considered a kerosene torpido heater?
I heat my garage with one and they are not that expensive.
Mine is 155,000 BTU's and will heat my 12 x 20 garage in 5 minutes from dead cold 10F to 80F.
If you ran it all the time (impossible it would be too hot) it only burns one gal an hour.
I think last winter I spent under $200.00 in fuel to keep my butt nice and tosty warm.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

sireland67 wrote:Soopernaut
As for heat in your garage have you ever considered a kerosene torpido heater?
I heat my garage with one and they are not that expensive.
Mine is 155,000 BTU's and will heat my 12 x 20 garage in 5 minutes from dead cold 10F to 80F.
If you ran it all the time (impossible it would be too hot) it only burns one gal an hour.
I think last winter I spent under $200.00 in fuel to keep my butt nice and tosty warm.
I will have to look into it. I'd rather put the money into the truck or other tools I may not have though.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

This is what im planning on shortly after I do the 440/A833 swap......ladderbar and leafsprings with floaters. We did this on my pops 46 Ford. It hooks great! Rides great also.