Standard 100 or 200 Series vs Camper Special Option

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Standard 100 or 200 Series vs Camper Special Option

Post by Rodger »

Hola All

This Camper Special series of messages has me thinking. Does any person have an Dealers Brochure, Sales Person Data Pocket Booket, or Truck Parts Catalog that actually has an listing of what an era "Camper Special" vehicle had ???

My 1970 W100 has the Dual Mirrow's ( single post style ), an Trailer Plug on the driver's side on the in-side front side portion of the bed, 3.5:1 gears and of course that Easy Off Tail-Gate ( that was never put back on ).

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Standard 100 or 200 Series vs Camper Special Option

Post by Rodger »

Hola All

I went to another site and found some Camper Special Brouchure information. It seems the vehicle is still rated as the weight pay-load of that vehicle. It is the mirror's, Altermator AMP size, Instrument Gauges and etc that makes it the Camper Special.

http://www.olddodges.com/index1.htm and there is more there.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Rodger , I was alway's told & have always seen the larger spring pack on the camper special's & back in the mid 70's I worked as a Dodge mecanic & they all had the larger spring pack's
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Sir

As you have stated, all the Camper Special's that you have seen have been assembled with the heavier spring packs. The data on any of the vehicles shows they are able to have an assortment of "spring packs". Me thinks the Camper Special Springs and the HD Load Springs just may be the same part number, but the vehicle is still the 100 ( w/optional springs ) or the 200 series ( w/ optional springs ) and the name of Camer Sperial with the other items of that paid for packet.

http://www.olddodges.com/index1.htm

Rodger & Gabby
COS

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Hola Rodger, Your 70 W100 is not a Camper Special. Starting in 68 there were no 1/2 ton Camper Specials.

Somebody recently posted a Camper Special brochure on here. I also have one but not in front of me. I do remember that the trailer plug and those mirrors were never mentioned as being part of the Camper Special package. The heavy duty gauges were not part of the Camper Special package either. It does seem strange that you would have had the easy off tailgate though. :thinking Being that the truck is as old as it is, many things could be different that what they would have originally been.

My guess is that the trailer plug could have been a dealer installed option. I have never seen any mention of that in any catalogs. Somebody could also have specified an easy off tailgate on a non Camper Special truck.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola Sir

I never said it was an "Camper Special". I did say it had an addition Trailer Type Plug, Dual Mirror's and the HD Gauges, as an Camper Special may have had.

The truck that I have is badged as an W100 "Custom".

That is why I asked for a Dealer Brochure and etc data on just what an Camper Special was equipted with when it carried this badge. The same information will sort out the facts and the speculation's of what was available during those years.

I have those bucket type seats and I dare not call it an Adventure.

Someone on this site spoke up once and stated that all 1970 trucks came with the Easy Off Tail-Gate.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Rodger wrote: Someone on this site spoke up once and stated that all 1970 trucks came with the Easy Off Tail-Gate.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Mine didn't and neither did the 71 I had. According to some information in a book, the easy off tailgate was specific to the Camper Special.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola There

This was what I was asking for ... http://www.allpar.com/trucks/campers.html . It sure makes one read closer.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola There All

I went on this last Saturday to look at an 1968 Truck here in Colo Spgs. This truck turned out to be an "Camper Special.

In the front right portion of the truck bed, ( at that space behind the driver's side of the cab ) hanging on an "U" shaped hook was an wire cable with an trailer plug on it ( vehicle to slide in camper electrical power ).

Do any of you with an "Camper Special" have this on your truck ???

Rodger & Gabby
COS