bumpsteer

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

Re: bumpsteer

Post by 68swep »

Doesnt help
Last edited by 68swep on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Your axle is NOT from a 47 ford!
ONLY the tie rod ends are.
Your pitman arm and drag link issues are huge and causing all the grief.
The steering box cannot be moved "up".

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

Post by 68swep »

Im saving up to swap out my front end for a Q1a front end. Not knowing enough about these stock Swepline front ends, what do I need to get my drop axle back to stock to eliminate the bump steer? I like the drop but the Q1A front end will take care of that. To take care of my current bump steer issue what all is needed? Thanks.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

bump steer is from your drag link angles or a bent spindle/drop axle
when on the ground ,best if you have turn plates ,but can do without
wheel pointing straight a head measure your center link (tie rod ends )
and drag link ends they should be even with the ground
now turn all the way to the left and take measurements ,then the same to the right
if any are off then that where your problem is (they all should the same )
if you have a bent spindle when you turn one will be off
if the drag link raises on turn then that is your trouble ,just need to figure out how to make it stay level

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

68swep wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:12 pm
Im saving up to swap out my front end for a Q1a front end. Not knowing enough about these stock Swepline front ends, what do I need to get my drop axle back to stock to eliminate the bump steer? I like the drop but the Q1A front end will take care of that. To take care of my current bump steer issue what all is needed? Thanks.
All that should be "needed" are the stock components..... axle/spindles/steering arm/tie rod/tie rod ends/drag link/Pitman arm/Saginaw box. :2cents

John

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Post by 67step100 »

nutz wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:30 pm
now turn all the way to the left and take measurements ,then the same to the right
if the drag link raises on turn then that is your trouble ,just need to figure out how to make it stay level
This is very telling and easy to measure, thanks. How much do they need to be off for it to be a problem? 1/4", 1/2", 1" or more? I find the steering to be loose and occasionally the front wheels will jump when I hit a bump while turning. I would like to tighten it up if I can so I'll be checking these measurements as well as looking for anything that might be loose or worn.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

67step100 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:00 am
nutz wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:30 pm
This is very telling and easy to measure, thanks. How much do they need to be off for it to be a problem? 1/4", 1/2", 1" or more? I find the steering to be loose and occasionally the front wheels will jump when I hit a bump while turning. I would like to tighten it up if I can so I'll be checking these measurements as well as looking for anything that might be loose or worn.
You can have loose tie rod ends, drag link ends, king pins & steering box issues.....
One of them..... all of them..... or a combination of any of them. :study :Thumbsup

John

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

you need to find any looseness before you measure and try to make corrections
in your center link 1/4 would be a lot
drag link thinking over 1/2 ...but best would be level
another test with the wheels straight ahead jack one side then the other shouldn't turn your wheel as your doing it
might be pulling under lift ..one of the ends could be maxing out the ball socket

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

So it looks like I have loose centre link tie rod ends. I can move both of them about 1/16" (1-2mm). Drag link is tight. So I'll have to find some tie rod ends.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

67step100 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:18 am
So it looks like I have loose centre link tie rod ends. I can move both of them about 1/16" (1-2mm). Drag link is tight. So I'll have to find some tie rod ends.
How are your king pins and Saginaw box?

John

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

So I am looking at all of the usual suppliers and they all only list the right side (passengers side) tie rod. My parts book shows one right hand thread (passengers side) and one left hand thread (drivers side). This may be a dumb question but why is there no left side tie rods on any of the sites? I find this very odd that they all have the one but not the other.

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:24 am
67step100 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:18 am
How are your king pins and Saginaw box?

John
The king pins are tight, I can't budge them. Is the Saginaw box the one at the end of the steering column? If so I get no play at all in the steering column where it passes into the box ,nor where the splined shaft passes through the frame to the other side. That appears to be all tight. The only thing I've been able to move are the two tie rod ends.

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Based on a search I did here it looks like ES140R will fit the right side and ES62L will fit the left. My right side is really pooched, not only can I move it back and forth about a 1/16", I can compress it about a 1/4" with pliers, and the boot is missing. Definitely time to replace.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

The tie rod ends you referred to are straight. You have dropped tie rod ends which were likely added in an attempt to get everything to actually connect while giving the tie rod a place to travel below where it normally travels. Usually, straight tie rod ends can't be used because after lowering the axle, the tie rod will not fit where it does on a regular, non-lowered truck.

I have 2 sets of new dropped tie rod ends if you're interested.

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:40 am
The tie rod ends you referred to are straight. You have dropped tie rod ends which were likely added in an attempt to get everything to actually connect while giving the tie rod a place to travel below where it normally travels. Usually, straight tie rod ends can't be used because after lowering the axle, the tie rod will not fit where it does on a regular, non-lowered truck.

I have 2 sets of new dropped tie rod ends if you're interested.
Thanks but I don't think my axle was lowered. The straight tie rod ends fit, although I had to shave about 1/4" off the length where it screwed into the tie rod. Took it for a very short drive and it seems tighter when turning on bumps but won't really know until the spring and after getting an alignment.

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

Something (or possibly several things) are strange with your front axle and suspension. Dropped tie rod ends (like those you removed) are used when the tie rod has been placed on a different level due to the axle being repositioned from lowering (regardless of the method used to lower the axle). The fact that you have removed dropped tie rod ends and now have straight tie rod ends is even more odd given that those 2 tie rod end types are usually not able to be mounted to the same truck without modifications. Your steering geometry (all of the pieces) really needs to be confirmed as some aspect/s are just not right (or the members here are not getting the complete picture and story).

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Series1Utiline wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:16 am
Something (or possibly several things) are strange with your front axle and suspension. Dropped tie rod ends (like those you removed) are used when the tie rod has been placed on a different level due to the axle being repositioned from lowering (regardless of the method used to lower the axle). The fact that you have removed dropped tie rod ends and now have straight tie rod ends is even more odd given that those 2 tie rod end types are usually not able to be mounted to the same truck without modifications. Your steering geometry (all of the pieces) really needs to be confirmed as some aspect/s are just not right (or the members here are not getting the complete picture and story).
Tried looking back but I'm not seeing where I said I had dropped tie rod ends, unless something I said implied that. The tie rod ends I removed were also straight. Sorry for the confusion but I wasn't familiar with what you were referring to when you said dropped tie rod ends but I assume they have a bend in them? The ones I removed were straight as were the ones I installed.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

67step100 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:42 pm
Series1Utiline wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:16 am
Tried looking back but I'm not seeing where I said I had dropped tie rod ends, unless something I said implied that. The tie rod ends I removed were also straight. Sorry for the confusion but I wasn't familiar with what you were referring to when you said dropped tie rod ends but I assume they have a bend in them? The ones I removed were straight as were the ones I installed.
The problem is, you stepped into a thread about bump steer started by 68swept. The way you did it was as if you were 68swept, continuing a conversation. So now, series1ute thought he was talking to 68swept, who does have dropped tie rod ends. That's where the confusion is, especially since 68swept posted pics, asked the original questions and DOES have a dropped axle. You have been extremely vague with info and descriptions of your truck.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

[/quote]

I just tried looking back in this thread and it says image doesn’t exist or has been removed in the places where they once were.
Do images expire after a certain amount of time?
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:44 pm
I just tried looking back in this thread and it says image doesn’t exist or has been removed in the places where they once were.
Do images expire after a certain amount of time?
HUGE CONFUSION HERE GUYS!
This thread started in 2007 - FIFTEEN YEARS AGO! You are looking at ancient posts, with pics no longer hosted by the original hosting site from 2007.
68swept dragged this old thread out of its deep burial, started a new discussion about it, then 67step100 hijacked that discussion.