Front leaf spring, supply

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Front leaf spring, supply

Post by HEtkind »

The 68 D100 short bed, 318/727 with holley, headers and glasspacks has been put into daily servive here at the ranch. The wife, due to some shoulder surgery, can't shift a real truck, has been using this one due to automatic shift.

However, we did notice the left front corner is sagging a good 1". After spending hours degreasing and inspecting the spring assembly it became apparent the shackle is bent and the spring is twisted. I suspect there was a front end colision in the past, the shackle bent and never repaired.

I ordered a couple new bushings and dug an old shackle out of inventory for clean up and installation. The bushings will be in Wednesday due to the Labor Day Holiday.

If the spring is sprung, and needs to be replaced, I will either need a good used one for a PAIR of new ones. Does anyone have a recommendation for a supplier of new springs? A used spring will be too expensive to ship.

I paid $350 for the last pair leaf springs I needed, for a chevy van 1-ton conversion project.

So, who sells springs for a sweptline at a good price?

Also, while searching for the shackle, I came across a spare /6 rocker shaft (the motor in the Town Wagon) and am trying to soak the old crud off and see if the shaft is rebuildable as a spare. I had to tap the rockers off with a hammer and the adjustors seem a bit stiff:-)

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

If you have a local spring shop, they can build you one to specs. Locally, we have a place that charges about $175 for a set. I think thats steep, but they're the only game in town, so what do you do? :thinking
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

mowingman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton, Tx.

Post by mowingman »

You can get complete spring assys. from Eaton Detroit Spring. They probably made the originals for your truck. I got a set of front springs there for my 69, W200. My set of front springs for this 3/4 ton truck cost $461.00 in Dec. of 2005.
Jeff
1979 Plymouth Trailduster, 360/auto.
1989 W150 Power Ram shortbed pickup, 318/auto.
1970 W200 Power Wagon long/wide bed, 383/4spd.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HEtkind »

Didn't see sweptline springs on the Eaton Detroit website. I guess I will hunt down my local spring shop come Tuesday and see what they can do for me.

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

mowingman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton, Tx.

Post by mowingman »

HEtkind wrote:Didn't see sweptline springs on the Eaton Detroit website. I guess I will hunt down my local spring shop come Tuesday and see what they can do for me.

Howard

Just call them. They will have springs for your Sweptline.
Jeff
1979 Plymouth Trailduster, 360/auto.
1989 W150 Power Ram shortbed pickup, 318/auto.
1970 W200 Power Wagon long/wide bed, 383/4spd.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HEtkind »

talked to Eaton Detroit yesterday and they have all four corners available at a good price, talked to a local spring shop and they said "order from Eaton Detroit and don't look back".

Changed out a bad front left bushing on the front of the front spring and now side to side right height difference is under 3/4"...

I think I am done for a bit on the suspension!

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST