front leaf springs swap

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

front leaf springs swap

Post by ozzie »

I am finished taking apart the 68 D 200 I bought last Oct. need a little information. will the front springs from the 68 D200 interchange with the ones on my 69 W200? my springs on the W200 have no arch at all. are they supposed to be that way? or are they just shot? the truck used to have a 7 foot meyers snow plow on it when I bought it back in 1974, and the springs were that way then. this truck has always rode very rough, because the is no travel on the old springs. sorry for the long winded post, but before I tear apart my truck to install these other springs I want to be sure it is the right thing to do. thaks, Ozzie
ozzie

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood

Springs

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Ozzie
I can't answer whether or not the D200 will interchange, however which ever ones you don't use I would be very, very, interested in them :Thumbsup they would be what I need for something I have in mind :dance

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

Robin, you certainly can have my old ones. I am really wanting to install the ones off the D200. I hope that they will fit. they look the same, but I hanen't measured them. it is kind of hard to measure the ones off the W200, as they are actually bent down below the front axle. Ozzie.
ozzie

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

ozzie, all the guys who have gone from a D to a W in conversions have said it was a bolt in swap. so id say its a bolt in swap going from w to d. the D springs, especially camper specials will have more arch then the w springs. if you look, the d has a drop axle, the w doesnt but yet they sit real close to the same tire clearence. that would suggest the w springs are more flat. of course im sure the winch didnt help much in leaving any arch in them. i say screw it, sounds like a ready made lift kit to me. id swap them. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

thanks trey, I thought they would fit, but I just wanted to be sure. the 68 has a real beefed up suspension in the rear. I am thinking of swapping themalso, but it would involve a lot of extra work, and I din't think I would use the full potential load carrying I would gain. I made a trailer out of the rear portion, so I could use ut to carry something really heavy. thanks, again for the info. Ozzie.
ozzie

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood

Spings

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Cool,
Ozzie keep me updated on the swap, I'll make a trip down there before the Colorado Cruiz, how many springs are in the pac? I'm going to use them to drop the front of my D100 hopefully it will take it down 3" :Thumbsup I have some heads 906's, these are not going to be stock, rollers also 1.7's shhh, top secret future development, I need to pick up also :lol:

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Guys

I have a set of front W200 spgs from an 1969 Power Wagon that either one of you can just stop by and have.

Just give me an two day notice so that I can have them out front if I'm off working across the state or the like.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

OK, I am rethinking this spring swap, although I have already ordered new U bolts, and shackle bolts. there are 2 things I am wondering about, will the flexible brake lines still have enough free travel, and will I need a different pitman arm? who ever has swapped the reverse way, W200 springs to D200 truck. did you have to make any alterations to either the brake lines, or the pitman arm? thanks, Ozzie
ozzie

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

OK, I am rethinking this spring swap, although I have already ordered new U bolts, and shackle bolts. there are 2 things I am wondering about, will the flexible brake lines still have enough free travel, and will I need a different pitman arm? who ever has swapped the reverse way, W200 springs to D200 truck. did you have to make any alterations to either the brake lines, or the pitman arm? thanks, Ozzie
ozzie

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

ozzie

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

sorry for the multiple posts, every time I hit the submit button it would say error. Ozzie.
ozzie

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

hey ozzie, when it says error, just go back to the site nd check, 9 tim,es out of 10 it posted anyway. :Thumbsup

i would think with any lift the rubber lines would need to be longer. as far as the pitman arm goes, i have heard anything up to 4" is still ok to use the stock one. i know on the chevy's i used to help with, 6" was the cut off for a cheap lift, anything past that, you couldnt use the stock steering link, drive shafts, brake lines, etc etc. but if you stayed under 6, then you were ok.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100