front or rear sump pan

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
cheapshot

front or rear sump pan

Post by cheapshot »

well, now that i have the front lowered with a drop axle, ive had to move my tie rod on top of the springs. no big deal, except it is now hitting the bottom of the mid sump pan. anyone know where i can find a front or rear sump pan and pickup? i dont mind a junk yard or used one, just need some direction. every /6 i find seems to have a mid sump. any help would be appreciated.

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

Well, I got a front sump pan and pickup from dogtrk on here. Even with the front sump pan the sump interfered with the I beam on a hard bounce test in the shop, so I cut the pan and notched it. It worked out ok but it was very time consuming and the end result looks like a cross between a moroso pan and a stock pan. The 83 that I have is a rear sump, and I measured it at one time and compared it to my setup which is the same as yours, and it was real close to the tie rod. But if I had it to do over again, making a dropped tie rod would be easier than notching the pan. In the end, when you flip the axle, it just interferes with everything. Frame gets close, brake hoses get close and too long, pan is close, and steering geometry is obviously affected. A dropped I beam or an IFS setup is much better. Good luck with yours.
Also got a lead on an old street rod guy in town that is going to stop by this week and look at my setup. Apparently he's been messing with straight axles a long time. Hopefully he can help the bumpsteer.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

please keep me posted.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

drop

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

have you guys thought about shortening the pitman arm???? :thinking

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

wouldnt that cut down the travel. thus cutting down turn radius?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

sup

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

not if you shorten the length?? the shorter length would allow the steering arm to be higher up, that way it wouldn't hit the axle, if you drop it 3" the pitman arm could be shortened 1 1/2" , the gear box would still turn the same rotations, and since the steering arm is raised (making it too long, someone else had it bent) you would be gaining the amount lost by shortening the pitman arm :study