Master Cylinders for the Tallzag Kit

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Brakes

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

having said that guys, I know you guys are comfortable with what your doing and its fine, and thanks to Tailzag for coming out with the kit, and it is easy for everyone to do :Thumbsup
But Mopar has alot of stuff for us that everyone seems to over look
check this link for your mastercylinder and for those of ya's going 4 wheel disc, everything you need to go along with the tailzag kit, from Mopar :Thumbsup http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/24whdibrmacy.html

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

Brake Hose LH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van NAPA - 36855 Wagner - F102464 Raybestos - BH36855

Brake Hose RH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van NAPA - 36956 Wagner - F102465 Raybestos - BH36956

The calipers are Chevy truck. The rotors are Ford Crown Vic. The MC is of your choosing. I got one from a 71 Dodge (I think) with front discs. I had to get the push rod out of the old MC, but then was able to use it with no problem. I installed a new return spring for the brakes too since mine was .... well, I just installed a new one, we'll leave it at that.

I do like the idea of going all Dodge with stuff too, but this was really easy to do and the parts are all off the shelf. I got all my stuff at AutoZone and the only part I had to wait on was the MC. Everything else was right there in stock. And I've still got the parts list on my computer (actually 2 different ones just in case).

As for rear disc conversions, I won't touch anything that makes me go with the green bearing on the 8 3/4. I'm leaving the truck alone, but the '70 Superbee I've been working on for about a decade and that is currently in storage, got a setup from Baer that uses mostly Camero/Corvette parts. I get to keep the tapered bearing and a parking brake.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

chilort wrote:Brake Hose LH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van NAPA - 36855 Wagner - F102464 Raybestos - BH36855

Brake Hose RH 1979-82 Chevy G10 Van NAPA - 36956 Wagner - F102465 Raybestos - BH36956

As for rear disc conversions, I won't touch anything that makes me go with the green bearing on the 8 3/4. I'm leaving the truck alone, but the '70 Superbee I've been working on for about a decade and that is currently in storage, got a setup from Baer that uses mostly Camero/Corvette parts. I get to keep the tapered bearing and a parking brake.
Thanks for the part numbers.

maybe try this rear disc conversion - it is JEEP parts - that counts for mopar doesn't it?

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-1.htm
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Brakes

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Yes
Jeep is Mopar :Thumbsup

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

If someone wants to put a Dana in their truck, that's great and there are options. If you have the 8 3/4 and want to keep your tapered bearings, then there aren't many options though.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

chilort wrote:If someone wants to put a Dana in their truck, that's great and there are options. If you have the 8 3/4 and want to keep your tapered bearings, then there aren't many options though.
look at the bolt pattern, you just use one less bolt. with a little hotrod logic you might be able to get it to work and keep the adjusters...

i read on this forum that the 96 grand cherokee rear disc will bolt onto a 8 3/4. a buddy and i are going to try it on his 69 'cuda pro-street car...

what's wrong with the green bearings?
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

There used to be much more wrong with the green bearing than there is now. I guess they were updated a few years ago to fix many of their problems. It is still not the kind of bearing (they are straight) the 8 3/4 was designed for (tapered).

The overall system of the 8 3/4 was designed for the tapered bearing. Back when engineers were farm boys and knew what they were doing (I can say this, I'm a young engineer -- from the farm) they designed things as systems and over built mostly everything. The first run of the green bearings couldn't take the side loadings some people were putting on them. Tons of rear end designs use straight bearing (Dana), but they are designed for them.

You hear a lot of variance in people's experience with the green's. Why? Because people did a lot of different things with them. Drag racers had no problems because they typically don't turn much or put much in the way of side loading onto the bearing. Trailer queens, also had few problems. Road racers and people that drove their cars like they stole them weren't getting much over 10k miles out of them.

As stated earlier, I do think the design has been updated, but many road racers still won't touch 'em. While I haven't ran any fancy analysis myself, and I don't really plan on it, I'll stick with the tapered bearing. They are still available and are tough as nails. But, if you want to go with a rear disc setup, then you are very limited in your options due to caliper designs.

So, the specific issues is that they aren't designed to take the side loadings they are required to handle in an 8 3/4 design.

JACKISBACK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SOUTHEASTERN CT
State: CT

MASTER CYLINDER

Post by JACKISBACK »

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT MASTER CYLINDER I SHOULD USE? I WANT AN OLDER STYLE SO IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A NEW ONE PLASTIC... THANK YOU JACK
DRIVE A HYBRID,, MORE GAS FOR ME !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhABpUFumk

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

chilort wrote: I went with a 72 MC I got at AutoZone. I think it was '72. Either way, it was for a Dodge with disc front / drum rear.
I wish I would have clear coated it though.