pulling hard!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: steering

Post by Hobcobble »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Guys I hate to tell ya's this but the drag link is what connects the tie rod ends, but at least your able to communicate and understand each other, when I do the power steering swap, if I use the toyota box I'm having the pitman arm shortened and the two pitman arms 1/2's connected, and at the same time drop the front end also, but I may not go with the toyota box, instead I may go with a 80's Dodge box, and mount it in front of the staight axle, (just the same as the 80's trucks) and turn the steering arm (what you guys referd to as drag link)to the front, this type of power steering upgrade would also eliminate the bump steer you have encountered. The only additional part would be an extension, easily purchased from Borgenson :Thumbsup
Cliff did you get the Springs from http://www.eatonsprings.com????
Hmmm... I always thought the tie-rod connected the
tie-rod ends. I also thought the steering arm was
synonymous with the pitman arm and that the "drag
link" was the part that connected the pitman arm
["steering arm"] to the spindle. My parts manual
lists this as a drag link [PN#1939-107] and has a
pictorial showing the link as connecting the pitman
arm to the steering[spindle] arm.
John
Last edited by Hobcobble on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheapshot

Re: steering

Post by cheapshot »

Hmmm... I always thought the tie-rod connected the
tie-rod ends. I also thought the steering arm was
synonymous with the pitman arm and that the "drag
link" was the part that connected the pitman arm
["steering arm"] to the spindle. Someone help me
out here :pale
John
same here, but one thing i have noticed over the years is that this is the one thing that i think most guys use different terms for.

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

can I get a pic of your bent drag link? Did it turn out like the picture you modified?[/quote]

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

michael wrote:Is the bending of used steering components an accepted practice? I would be sceptical of the integrity of anything bent, especially regarding stress fracturing. Just curious.
Check out this crazy stuff!

http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering1.html

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

Be sure to take the time to start at the beginning of the page. That guy had me laughing for an hour :clap

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

yes, it looks real similar to the fine drawing that i made. i will try to get you pics in the next few days. i drove it about 50 miles yesterday and it drives much better, but it would be misleading to say that all the bumpsteer is gone, but it is much, much better. it really is not that bad until you get over about 55-60 mph. do you have any pics of your front axle. i would like to see how you did it. also, how did you lower your rear?

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

I flipped the front and rear axles. I flipped the front the same as the rear. I bought 2 sets of spring perches. I'll post some pix when I get it back on the lift this weekend. Getting ready to bend up my drag link, so I look forward to seeing yours before I do.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

this is the best i could do right now without pulling the front wheel. you can see where it was heated. i just heated it up there and hit it with a 5 pound hammer gently until it came level. of course youll need to pull the wheel and have it tracking straight befor you start. be sure to keep the suspension loaded. sorry for the crappy pics.

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

Well I did the same bend to mine, and it got no better. Bumpsteer is terrible. I'm doing some more research to see what I can find out. I drove the truck after I bought it and it drove nice. Still drives nice and straight till you crest a hill, then you are headed right, and when the front comes down, she goes left. I bought an 83 for a donor front clip, I was hoping to hold off till winter. I just want to get it driveable for the remainder of the summer.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

yep, thats exactly what mine is doing, but it did get much better with the bend. at least now its drivable. keep me posted on what you figure out. i would still like to get mine acting a little better.