Spot The Accident About To Happen

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
MOPARHOUND
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City, KS

Spot The Accident About To Happen

Post by MOPARHOUND »

Was checking over a truck the car carrier unloaded I bought here on the board from out of state. I overlooked a serious broken part on the rear in a prior picture sent to me. Can you see it?

Yes the 10-16.5 tire is bald, and some cords are showing in spots, but that is not it.

Click on the thumbnail size pic to see pic full sized:

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Is that U-bolt broken on the right side?

Doug

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

It looks like the exhaust is rotted off so its dumping right next to the saddle gas tank under the bed on the drivers side. It also looks like its burning very rich from the soot on the left shock. If the tank has any kinda leak and the truck gives a good backfire watchout...

MOPARHOUND
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MOPARHOUND »

digdoug wrote:Is that U-bolt broken on the right side?

Doug
We hava a winnah!!! :Thumbsup

Also, very intuitive RH62. The engine's original carb was pouring gas on the intake manifold, and I'm guessing into the intake manifold as the dip stick showed over 2 quarts past full, and it was definitely gas in the oil. Yep, running very rich, and the truck does have 3 gas tanks on it. Lucky it has any bearings left in the motor, but runs great now with an oil change, a new carb and fresh set of plugs.

Spotted this first on the front side. Got me to looking closer (Click on thumbnail to see full size pic):

MOPARHOUND
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MOPARHOUND »

Here is a close up of what digdug spotted. I could literally move the leaf spring back and forth by hand, it was that loose (Again, click on the little pic to see it full size):

MOPARHOUND
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MOPARHOUND »

The truck is a 69 D200 Camper Special. It has a 440 Magnum from a 70 Charger R/T or Coronet R/T based on the VIN on the block, hooked to a 4 speed trans. Lot of torque going to the Dana 60's right rear, as I don't believe it is a Sure-Grip. In this pic you can see the extra set of leaf springs the truck has. Is this part of the Camper Special package from the factory? Or something aftermarket someone has installed? It did haul a slide-in camper for upteen years (Again, click on the little picture):

In this pic you can see the cords showing on the passenger side rear tire. Probably a combination of the 440 Magnum's torque, and the loose U-bolts causing the rear to run out of alignment: