Disc Brakes & Power Steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
HeavyFlatHead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Disc Brakes & Power Steering

Post by HeavyFlatHead »

Good Morning,
:lol:

I started to install disc brakes on the front of my 70 D100 and of course I have decided to due more to the truck at this time.
:thinking I am toying with the idea of cleaning the frame up and rebuilding the front end. When I drove the girl home last week after doing a brake job on the front, was that a thrilling ride. The person who owned it before had ran the shoes down so far that they went into the drum and the wheel cylinder fell apart. So I drop in a new cylinder, that is another story as it seems that parts counter people do not know driver from passanger side.

Any way when I was going down the street the truck was hard to keep in its lane, :pale never went over 30. So I bought a power steering box off of e-bay for a 90 Dodge diesel for $35.00. From the picture it looks like a ford box, the only problem that I can think of is that as a old dog never learned how to weld. :banghead

This is one skill that I need to learn, but not on this bracket. :idea Does any one know a low (cheap) priced person, in the Portland area, who can help make a bracket for this cool truck.

Thanks for any help :usa

Ed.
Edward Wray
03 Dodge
Minvan
70 Dodge D100
Long Short Wide Box
53 Plymouth
Cranbrook
Long Live The Oldies

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

I don't know that area...... but could you send me info on the disc brakes?

Sorry to hijack..

HeavyFlatHead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HeavyFlatHead »

Hi Everyone, :lol:

Received the bracket from tallzag, am waiting on the rest from rock auto. I looked up the parts on the net through local company in Portland for price. Gee there seems to be different price when you go into there store. :shame

I order the rest of the parts from rock auto (also new king pins)and with the shipping it came to $221.02. For a total of $356.00 I will have disc brakes and new king pins on my girl. I am looking in to also installing a master cylinder from a vet (did not hear that). :clap The vet. master cylinder has four outlets and two big resvoirs. The larger resvoirs will allow a person to run dis/drum or disc/disc.

I order the parts from rock auto on Sunday and when I came home from work today most of the parts were waiting for me. The order was shiped in two boxes, I can not wait to get the rest. :Thumbsup

I am hoping that someone will come up with a name of a welder so I do not have to morage my kids,
grandkids, or future grangkids. :bs

Well thats about all for know, I am going to try and upload some pictures this weekend if I get very far. As lucky would have it I dream big for an old dog.
Edward Wray
03 Dodge
Minvan
70 Dodge D100
Long Short Wide Box
53 Plymouth
Cranbrook
Long Live The Oldies

HeavyFlatHead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Update

Post by HeavyFlatHead »

I have found out that trying to work on this truck on the weekends looks good on paper. :study but it does not work out like I would like it to. The last three weekends I have had other commitments come up. I finally was able to but some time in this weekend. I started to take offf the front sheet metal and ran into my first problem. :pale

I can not get the fender lose at the cab by the door. :banghead

I have lots of surface rust on the under side, but I have not found any holes in the sheet metal. :dance Other wise it is progressing about how fast I thought it would. As soon as I can figure out how to upload pictures I will post some.
Edward Wray
03 Dodge
Minvan
70 Dodge D100
Long Short Wide Box
53 Plymouth
Cranbrook
Long Live The Oldies

zdatdodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Update

Post by zdatdodge »

HeavyFlatHead wrote:
I can not get the fender lose at the cab by the door. :banghead

Did you remove the bolt that holds the fender on from the inside of the cab? Its right about the top hinge height. Its the one that had me guessing for a while.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Ed,

I have a nephew who I understand can weld pretty well. He lives in Aloha which is pretty close to you. He is only 16 and very long on enthusiasm. :pale :lol: I have not seen his welding but he was quoted in the Oregonian a couple weeks ago when they did a feature on the vocational school he is attending. He was teaching one of the girls to weld. You can PM me for his # if you would like to talk to him about it. Be forewarned if You choose to contact him: you may never get rid of him. :lol: :lol: He did work for several months last summer for Rip Rook @ Source Automotive and I recently looked at a W300 parked at a muffler shop in Hazel Dell. I barely got out of my rig and somebody came up behind me wanting to know what I was doing there. It was my nephew! I told him the real question is what are you doing here????? He had apparently talked his way into a job over here. He is one of the Tech inspectors @ PIR so he meets these guys there and he is NOT the least bit bashful about asking for a job. :thinking It didn't last long though. The insurance to have him work was 800 bucks a month! :pale Lemme know if you are interested. I can't really say if he would be good enough for that kind of work for you though.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Brake

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

The Trucks from 69-71 had dual resevoirs, same as the Chargers of same years, so you don't have to go to other companies to achieve what has been done already :Thumbsup