SUPER STUPID QUESTION _ I SHOULD KNOW BETTER

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wally

SUPER STUPID QUESTION _ I SHOULD KNOW BETTER

Post by wally »

o.k., here it is. why the heck is my e brake cable such a pain to route? and how was it from the factory? I know, this may seem stupid, BUT I have a perfectly painted engine and firewall, etc, and the darn thing want to rub onto everything. To be clear - when standing looking in at the motor, the cable is obviously coming from my right (drivers side near the hinge) down to the left, and since I have a 318 with manual trans with the e brake at the drive shaft, the cable needs to then go behind my valve cover, over the back of my bell housing, and into the bracket (which is on the passenger's side. Do I have the bracket on the wrong side? Sure does look like it (the cable) would be more comfortable on the drivers side - but my brackets and the casting will not allow that to happen. Such a dumb thing to have to think about (with all the other harder things on these vehicles) but I took for granted how this thing was routed. I also took for granted the best route for my speedo cable, and which opening it went through (firewall opening) so I shoulda taken a couple of pics before I ripped the truck apart.
Pics to be coming soon -should I show your guys now? or wait until all done.
Got my SUN tach back from the tach man - a little pricey, and the glass on the inside of the tach was dirty, but all in all areally nice job! NIce guy as well - and fast!
back to the truck now boys....

wally

Post by wally »

also, I have not worked on my BSA's since I took this truck project on...summer's coming, and I need to spend time on my other love.. Bikes.. not even the littlest of time to do any more.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

I think those parking brake cables get stiff when they get old, having the same issue on muy 62 Town Wagon with the NP420 transmission, with the parking brake drum on the back of the transmission.

Perhaps a new, flexible cable will help.

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

wally

Post by wally »

logical, yes, but these cables were always stiff because of thier makeup. I moved the cable in the inner jacket for a long time with a lubricant, and cleaned both ends. I think these were always quite stiff and unable to bend in tight radiuses hence the little rubber "jacket" (awesome dodge design, let's cut a rubber hose and wrap it around the cable). I'm just wondering if thereis a correct routing for the cable, and what realistically, to expect when someone tells me it is SUPOSSED to rub the paint off everything it touches, which is pretty much everything. Thanks for the advice.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

Routing sounds right, just looked at my 62 and
it is bone stock, it has a 225- but the route is
the same- over the top of the bell and down the pass
side of trans (if the v8 were in there it would be
over the divers valve cover).
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

wally

Post by wally »

Scratchy scratchy rubby rubby man it hurts to see stuff like that -should be used to it by now. Next truck is going to be a chevy......

Soliddrummer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Soliddrummer »

Ive looked at all my trucks (all 318 trucks, and every one of them has the routing down the drivers side, all the brackets are on the drivers side. It comes out of the firewall on the drivers side and goes right down the firewall to the bracket under the cab on the drivers side, through the frame rail to the bracket at the back of the cab on the drivers side where it splits to go to each side of the rear end..
hope this helps

Brandon
1967 short wide d-100. 318 4 speed.

wally

Post by wally »

not on early d300's and above and what you are seeing is rear e brakes, not the drive shaft e brakes that some of them had. thanks for the input.... kinda wish I had that set up..

Soliddrummer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Soliddrummer »

Ahhh. I didnt realize we were talking about a d-300 of which I have zero information...
1967 short wide d-100. 318 4 speed.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

It's more of a pre 65 thing, some trucks after that
date still have the ebrake on the trans tailshaft,
but it became less common after 65.
Up till 65 just about all the trucks have them:
auto trans even has one- cable is to the driver side
on the ebrake;
maunle trans have them from driver to pass side.

After the new 8.75 axles came out in 65, most light trucks (100, 200)
use the rear brakes as ebrakes at the rear axle
(but not all).
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!