Brake Adjustment

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
guvmentmule
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Brake Adjustment

Post by guvmentmule »

Hey everybody lone time no post, I"m wondering if any body out there can help me I have a 1971 dodge d-100 w/318 2 barrel and I am haveing problems with my brakes either pulling to one side when applied or kinda squeling when comeing to a stop at low speeds is there any way to adjust the Brakes? thanks.

oneowner71
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Fort Worth, TX

Post by oneowner71 »

There is an adjuster wheel at the bottom of the brakes, centered. If you look at the back of the backing plate, there should be 2 oval rubber plugs (if they are still there) at the bottom of the backing plate to let you access the adjuster. You may want to also look at your brakelines to make sure nothing is kinked or dented, as that can cause the pull.

Step 1 should be to pull the drum and verify the condition of your pads/drum to make sure you have adequate material. If all that is good, put it back together. Adjustment should be possible. You can take a look at the adjuster wheel while the drum is off to get a feel for what you won't be able to see while you adjust.

I usually put the front on stands enough to let the wheels spin, pull the rubber plugs on the backing plate, and then use a brake adjusting tool (or a flatblade screwdriver) to spin the adjuster wheel in the appropriate direction to spread the pads apart. I always run mine out until I can just begin to hear/feel them rubbing on the drum as the tire spins. If you can get that even, it should minimize the pull. With the exception of drum removal, the front and back are pretty much the same.
Thanks, Clint
1971 D-100, 318 3-spd
1970 Dude, 383 / A727
1974 Challenger, 383/A727 (451 5-speed, someday)
1971 Plymouth Satellite,
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Brake Adjustment

Post by Jeffc »

guvmentmule wrote:Hey everybody lone time no post, I"m wondering if any body out there can help me I have a 1971 dodge d-100 w/318 2 barrel and I am haveing problems with my brakes either pulling to one side when applied or kinda squeling when comeing to a stop at low speeds is there any way to adjust the Brakes? thanks.
Agree with oneowner,

Questions for you...
Do you know when the brakes were
reshoed the last time?
Have the brakes ever worked right
and/or is this something new?
Is there any fluid loss from the master?
any dark stains from the lower side of
the brake backing plate over the tire?
When drum is off----
is shoe getting full contact to the drum
or are there areas not making contact?
make sure there are no leaks in the area
from the wheel cyclinders or axles....

I would be checking all four drums, only
takes one to cause 'pulling'.
Anytime I buy a new truck/car one of the
frist things I check is brakes by pulling
all 4 drums for inspection. 9 times
out of 10 they need a rebuild.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

guvmentmule
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Brake Adjustment

Post by guvmentmule »

Thanks guys for the advice,I'm here in Austin TX and really wish I could hook up with someone or a group for help like this, Thanks again.

oneowner71
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Fort Worth, TX

Post by oneowner71 »

DaddioJoe on this forum is in Austin as well. Not that I can volunteer his help, but you may want to PM him if you still need some help. Brake jobs aren't too difficult, just do one side at a time so you always have one to go to for reference. As far as just questions go, keep on with them on the forum. They'll get answered in as much detail as you need.
Thanks, Clint
1971 D-100, 318 3-spd
1970 Dude, 383 / A727
1974 Challenger, 383/A727 (451 5-speed, someday)
1971 Plymouth Satellite,
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab