power booster for 62 dodge d300

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wally

power booster for 62 dodge d300

Post by wally »

well, now that Kyle solved my rear shocks questions (thanks man, the pictures were very helpful) I just purchased a brake power booster on ebay, and I need to know if someone has a better idea than the parts book, on how this thing (and exactly where) this thing sits on the frame, etc. I think I notice in the parts book a porportioning valve, an air filter, and several small elves that come along for the ride when santa does not need them. I love my dodge parts book, only sometimes. Please get me some help. I am almost wishing I didn't buy this thing, since it looks like a lot of work, just to get it to fit up - do these things really help that much with drum brakes? -almost done with the restoration -will post pics when my hair grows back (and the money tree.

wally

Post by wally »

anybody have any experience with these booster, and what I should llok for. A picture would be a great help as well. DO THESE REALLY MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE?

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

On our 1964 W300, the brake booster sits against the frame on the outside of the frame. Look under the driver's side step and they hopefully will be two brackets where the booster set up should fit. It is the main distribution center of the brake lines. There is a vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold to the brake booster. There should be a check valve that screws onto the intake manifold. There may be a plug where a check valve may have been on your truck. A metal/rubber vacuum line runs from the valve to the booster. There is also a rubber line that connects from the booster and runs up under the cab to the little air filter that sits behind the driver's seat in between the gas tank and the cab post. This sucks in the air to make the vacuum work. The booster does help. When you work the pedal, it stiffens it up and allows the driver not to have to push the pedal to the floor. We found a new/rebuilt brake booster at a Parts Plus Auto Parts store. They were helpful in finding it. Had to exchange the core. Hope this helps. By the way, I believe that the W/D 300 series and up all used these brake boosters for a while until they moved them under the hood. :salut :Thumbsup

Power Man
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

wally

Post by wally »

the valve on the manifold -is this for a one way travel of air, sort of like a pressure valve? I have located where there are some bolts holes on the frame under the driver's seat where I will mount the brackets. I suppose for the air filter, any one will do.
thanks for the help, glad to hear that the booster works well!

Also, would it be too much trouble to have a couple of images including detail shots? I would like to post images when this is done, and would like to have it close to the original mounting and config, for everyone else.

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PowerMan »

Here are a couple pictures:

This is the side view of the booster. The rubber hose going to the right is the hose that goes up under the cab to the air filter.

This is the check valve set up that screws onto the intake manifold. This may not be the one that was original but it works.
If you need any more pictures of the brake booster just say what angle you need and I'll try and get that posted.

Power Man
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500

wally

Post by wally »

this looks great. just to confirm. you have a single master or dual? You have one lead to an air filter behind the gas tank in the cab, you have one line going up to the check valve off the intake manifold, one line running from the master, and one line running out of the booster, to your junction of front and back brake lines? If I have a dual master, how do I address the single input and single output of the booster? Do I have a poportioning valve AFTER my single line runs out of the booster and into a single to dual junction block -will this be the same thing? why have a dual master? (ALREADY INSTALLED.)

Would you mind trying to get an image of the lines and how you have them running? also, I am assuming the front of the cab is to the left in your images.

The truck is almost done, and I am waiting for my knowledge and comfort of this booster thing to sink in - I have a wife and a three year old an do not want to loose brakes going down the highway - this is also going to be my daily driver. I'll post some pics when the big ol' red is finished -thanks for the great help - keep it coming.

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PowerMan »

Sorry for taking so long. I have been really busy for the last few days. Here are a few pictures showing where the brake and vacuum lines hook up to.

The line with the red on it is the vacuum line that goes to the check valve on the intake manifold.
The green line connects to the master cylinder on the firewall.
The blue line just goes over the top of the frame and to the brake line T that distributes the pressure to the front and back.
Yes, the left of the pictures goes to the front of the cab.
We found a new air filter that replaces the old one that sits next to the gas tank at Carquest Auto Parts in case you need a new one too.
I think the main reason why the brake booster is on there is because of hauling heavy loads since it is a one ton.
If you need any more pictures just say so. :Thumbsup :salut :usa

Power Man

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PowerMan »

Here is the link for the picture. For some odd reason it didn't show up on the last post?

http://upload8.postimage.org/88563/photo_hosting.html

Power Man

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

I have this same booster on my d100, is there a way to convert over to a dual master and still use it?

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PowerMan »

Did you ever get the booster set up? :thinking

Power Man

wally

Post by wally »

doing it right now -some issues with the filter drawing air in, etc etc. Wll advise asap.

wally

Post by wally »

YES IT WORKS - a bit touchy, but I guess I am used to having to really puch on all the brakes to make them work.
thanks for all of the help, I am now a brake booster expert -kinda.
BTW, I did find a very cool air intake filter, as well as a cool check valve, which went right into my intake manifold. I also made som brackets, and some other things that go along with the whole set up. I think it looks pretty well done, if you ask me.

Hemikuda71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK

Post by Hemikuda71 »

heres what the original air filter looks like:

R/T
'61 D-100 Utiline
'62 D-100 SWB
'64 D-200 LWB CSS 1 of 2 known 3/4 ton CSS's
'68 A-100 Pick Up (stolen)
'72 Challenger
'78 "Lil Red Express"
'97 Dakota Club Cab

wally

Post by wally »

yep, I have that same filter -NOS STILL IN THE BOX - BUT - I forgot I put seatbelts in for me, my wife and my little girl (we like to take drives together on the weekends, and safety is important to me. I looked in McMaster Carr and got a small filter (2" diameter or less) and it fits right in between the gas tank and the seat belt retractor(SP?) Does anybody want to buy a NOS air filter in the original box? It is sitting on my desk, and sure looks pretty. I wish I coulda used it on this truck.

wally

Post by wally »

O.K. Just went out for a long ride. Brakes seemed to be getting much better as I drove along??????? Just so we are on the same page.......New brakes -yes - every part including springs and pins, etc etc, so no real problem area there -drums were turned (they were within tolerance) and al is good. Power booster (frame mount)did not have water in it - new brake lines - new brass check valve from the manifold (I checked to make sure it was going one way - sucking down into the top of the manifold and not the other way ) fresh fluid -two man bleed procedure with mighty vac kit. Brand new air filter and inlet and rubber hose. Right rear brake freezes up, as I m getting groceries, after about 10 or so miles (on the highway). I get out my spooning tool and try to loosen it up. No go. Hotter than hell and burnt myself.
PLEASE GOD OF MOPAR, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? :banghead
This was supposed to be my daily driver. I have sold my other truck already. :pale
Yes, I did look at every other post before I posted this one again.

Hemikuda71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK

Post by Hemikuda71 »

Wally, I'm interested in that filter. Could you send me some pics?
R/T
'61 D-100 Utiline
'62 D-100 SWB
'64 D-200 LWB CSS 1 of 2 known 3/4 ton CSS's
'68 A-100 Pick Up (stolen)
'72 Challenger
'78 "Lil Red Express"
'97 Dakota Club Cab

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PowerMan »

Glad to hear every the brake booster worked out well! I don't really know what to tell you about the locked up brake. Maybe take the drum off and check it out. Brand new brakes. ?? Maybe start a new topic and see if any one else knows what may have happened?

Power Man