zerk..

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
shearingmatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

zerk..

Post by shearingmatt »

I have a rather odd problem. I can grease all the zerks on my truck except one, and its really annoying me. When I try to grease the zerk on the front of the leaf spring, it just won't let any grease in there. I pulled the zerk off and it is clean, so its not the problem.. Anyone had a problem like that.

Oh also, when I greased everything else, a lot of rattles went away but there is one really loud rattle left and I highly suspect that it is that joint on the leaf spring, so it needs grease..

Matt Gilbert
66 D-100 long bed swept
Shearingmatt@yahoo.com

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Try jacking up the truck to take the weight off the spring and see if it will take grease.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I have exactly the same trouble with one of mine. Going to pull it apart again one of these days and see if I can figure out why it does that.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

matt, did you try pumping grease thru the zerk while it was off the truck? it may visually appear clean, but the check ball may be stuck :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

I agree with wideblock there is a possibility that the grease zerk is to blame. There also may be the fact that the bushing has galled the pin and closed up the grease hole. It also could be that the grease has set up in the pin causing it to not take any grease. You could try jacking up the frame taking the load off of the pin and have someone put a grease gun on under pressure and then hit the spring eye with a large hammer. See if that works. The other option is to heat the pin/spring eye up with a torch and then try to grease it. If all else fails the last option is to remove the pin and check the condition of it and the bushing.
Hope this helps,
Ken

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

I had the same problem, when I took the shackel off and cleaned the old grease out it works great.

shearingmatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shearingmatt »

Yup, pulled the zerk off and grease goes through it great. SO I'll jack it up, whack it see if that makes any difference. IF it don't, I'll work on taking it apart sometime...... hopefully soon..

THanks a ton guys!

Matt
66 D-100 long bed swept
Shearingmatt@yahoo.com