Flaming River steering box?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Flaming River steering box?

Post by POWWAG »

Looking in the MOPAR Performance section of the latest JEG'S catalog I see a Flaming River manual steering box that is a replacement for 66-74 cars and trucks. It claims to be stronger than the original and have a higher ratio. I'm assuming that higher ratio means eazier steering. The JEG'S part number is 898-FR1540 and the cost is $419.99. Anyone know anything about these? Red Head steering gear in Seattle wants $225.00 with core for a rebuilt.

Thanks.....Don

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

walter mcintosh will rebuild your core for around $180. wmac@imt.net :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Flaming River

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Don,
I have heard that Flaming River is reputable, and that the higher steering would be bettter like closer to the 16:1 that is used for road racing, I think Big Daddy used some of theri pairts?
I'm going to a Halloween party with a butch of Painters and body men that have the Roadsters as the cars of choice, and I know some of them use Flaming River so I'll try and ask!

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

So I looked in the Summit catalog and it says their Mopar box is 19:1. What are our stock boxes? I've heard tell that the stock boxs don't stay rebuilt for long, so if this is stronger, that problem would be solved. I'd like to keep my 67 "low tech" but running 35" tires has got to be harder on the box and a little easier steering would nice. When it was my full time daily driver I had a really buff upper body thanks to manual steering.

There is also a steering shaft add on by Howe that depending on how you mount it will make your steering (30% or 50%) quicker or easier. I think 30% would be too much and 50% would work your @#% off.

Don

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Flaming River

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

To be truthful I don't know the ratio, probably around 12:1, I think the 19:1 sounds good and should have the response your looking for,
I had mine rebuilt 3 yrs ago but only have less than 2000 miles on it and 1000 was on the trip moving to Colorado, and it will probably be like that for 2 more years and then another revamp, changing alot of things. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out.