69 d100 kingpin removal

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

69 d100 kingpin removal

Post by dylansd100 »

I am replacing the kingpins on my 69 d100 with a 2500 pound axle. there is a smaller set pin sideways in the axle (see pics bilow). from what I can see this holds the kingpin in. I cant seem to get this pin out, is it tapered or threaded, is there a certain side I need to drive it out from?

69 d100 adventurer 318 four bbl.
727 / 3.55 rear

Massively Over Powered And Respected
Mutilates Other People At Races

mightydodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kansas City/Missouri

Post by mightydodge »

Dylansd100,
I've replaced my kingpins on my 1968 D-100. Looks like you've already removed the metal cup on top of the kingpin. That set pin that you're talking about is a bolt that screws in the side of the axle and holds the king pin straight. Should be a normal hex head bolt with a metal flange behind it bent up on one side so the bolt doesn't unscrew itself. You just have to hammer the flange flat, then unscrew the bolt. The king pin will now be free to come out. The I used the end of a baby sledge that was the same diameter as the king pin as a punch and hammered out the king pin. Then you'll have to take it to machine shop to have them press the new bearings in.
1968 Dodge D-100
225 ci, 3-speed

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

I think ours are different because there are no bolts or atleast no heads anywhere, maybe someone broke it off. In mine there is a hole in the axle with nothing sticking out, if you look inside the hole there is a pin, I cant get that pin out, I am pretty sure that it is holding in the kingpin.... and yes I have removed the metal caps.
any help is greatly appreciated,
Dylan
727 / 3.55 rear

Blue67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

I'll try

Post by Blue67 »

Dylan This is from my experience with my 66 D100 so may not apply to your 69 at all.
It looks to me that the photos you posted are looking from the rear. Mine has a short bolt that is parallel to the frame rail, about midway between the top and bottom of the kingpin, on the FRONT of the kingpin. Not visible from the back. It fits into a slot machined on the kingpin (not visible from the outside) to keep the kingpin from moving up or down. Took that bolt out after moving locking washer that mightydodge talked about. Beat the kingpins out with a big hammer and drift punch. One came easy but one took a lot of pounding. I used the nylon bushings cause I was broke at the time. When it needs it again I hope I can afford the bronze bushing machine shop way.
Blue

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

I just looked at the kit I ordered and it comes with a set bolt but my axle has a set pin. If i look at the kit for the 2200 pound axle it comes with a set pin. My door tag says 2500 pound front axle but maybe it is a 2200 pound? Im very confused :thinking
727 / 3.55 rear

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

update: I got the set pin out on the drivers side but not the kingpin. I am now in the process of taking the axle out to take it to a machine shop to let them do the rest. Plus it gives me a good chance to paint the axle and all of my components for a sharper look. I looked at the set pin and the kit they sell for the 2200 axle and they are identical. I think I wasted my money buying the set for a 2500 axle. I suppose someone hit a stump or something and bent the axle and pulled a 2200 axle out of a junkyard truck or something?

Still, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks,
Dylan
727 / 3.55 rear

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

once the retaining pin or bolt is removed, the king pin can be driven out. I would soak it in pb blaster for days, then, heat and pound, heat and pound. I pulled the axle on my 62 town wagon and tried to press it out and it BENT my 12 ton press, the machine shops 50 ton press couldn't bulge them either, finally the machine shop put TWO oxy-acetylene torches on the top and bottom spindle bosses and the pin then fell out with light tapping.

On the other hand, I was able to get the pins out of my 68 D100 with just a hammer and punch. The new bushings pressed in very easily, but then needed to be reamed to exact size with a adjustable reamer around the 15/16" size (iirc).

Once you do a few of these, it gets MUCH easier.

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

Got-r-done.... well, got the kingpins in and it swivels like a dream with not a millionth of an inch of play :Thumbsup .... While everything was out I painted it and today I got it all back in.... tommorow I will put the tierod back on and all that good stuff ... here are some pics

727 / 3.55 rear

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

Where can I get kingpins for my Dodge?

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

rare parts inc. jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

wide65 wrote:Where can I get kingpins for my Dodge?
I have been using http://www.rockauto.com for a name brand set of METAL bushings, avoid the nylon ones. You will also need a reamer to size the bushings after you press them in. About $50 for a set for both the front wheels.

REAM them, do not use a hand grinder:-)

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dylansd100 »

I also got mine from rockauto.com... in fact I have ordered several parts for my truck from there, and have been fairly pleased.
727 / 3.55 rear