charger brake booster, toyota box

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
dylansd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

charger brake booster, toyota box

Post by dylansd100 »

From what ive read in the past year I could use a power brake booster off of a 69-70 charger. If I did this would I have to use the matching master cylinder or could I use mine? You can get a reman. power brake booster plus master cylinder attatched for $150.00 for a charger. But, I plan on just hitting a junkyard. I dont have to have power brakes but it would be nice to have. I have also read a lot about the toyota steering box swap but I am still confused. What would I use a pump off of? Would I need a pitman arm? steering knuckle?... etc.
69 d100 adventurer 318 four bbl.
727 / 3.55 rear

Massively Over Powered And Respected
Mutilates Other People At Races

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

if, the charger master has the same bore as the truck, then yes, it will work. 1" for 1/2 ton, 1 1/8" for a 3/4 ton.

toy box will work with any of the big 3 pumps (gm, ford, mopar) yes you need a modified pitman/steering arm.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

What Trey said. Also, there is a flat 1/2 inch spacer that goes behind the booster that you will need to space it out beyond the seam on the firewall. I don't know if the charger or any other vehicle will have it. You might also have to modify the pushrod to make it the right length.

The original spacer has cork gaskets on each side. You can buy cork gasket material and make those.
1969 Adventurer W100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

master

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

If you look at the 69-70 Chargers they have the same master cylinder as our trucks, so you wouldn't have to have a new one, but you would need the correct rod :Thumbsup I didn't know about the spacer??? does the factory power brake trucks have the spacer????? As far as the Toyota box, you'll only need the pitman arm either made or take the top from the Toyota and the bottom from the Sweptline, weld together and your in bussiness :usa the power steering resivoir you can use what you like, if if you can hook up hoses, whether you have them made or use the toyota one, may need a different pulley???

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

The spacer is factory on 69-71 Swepts with factory power brakes. I'm not positive but think it's on all Swepts that have power brakes where the booster bolts directly to the firewall. Hydraulic clutch and hydro-vac trucks wouldn't have it.
1969 Adventurer W100