dumb idea?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
taintedspeed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

dumb idea?

Post by taintedspeed »

i have had a 68 d200 "donated to the cause" and i am wondering if what i am thinking is a dumb idea. i may be able to aquire a 67 w200 rolling chassis. is it a bad idea to take the d and put it on the w frame. i am thinking of doing it frame on top of frame and welding the two together. i imagine this will end up like a body lift. any other issues foreseen by third parties? dont be afraid to offend me thanks -Randy
all mopar all the time

Roger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Loganville GA
State: GA

Post by Roger »

wouldn't it just be easier to unbolt it from the frome and just put it on the the other frame? Or do you want the lift?
Roger, '65 4 eyed short bed.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

the d and w frames are the same as long as you stay in the same series 100 to 100, 200 to 200 etc etc. if you weld the frames one on top of the other you will wind up with the engine way the hell under the hood and having to lengthen cab wireing, steering column, brake lines, clutch lines, etc etc etc etc etc.. i have seen it done, and it all came out ok, but the guy was running 44" tires, so he had to come up with something. biggest bear is the radiator, out it in the bottom frame you restrict air flow, put it in the top one and you dont have it in front of the engine. put the whole thing in the top one, and your looking at a lot of cash into custom drive shafts and linkages.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Randy,
Trey pretty much summed it up.You need BIG tires or it looks stupid.If you want big tires,I say "GO FOR IT"!Brake lines are easy.Steering column-not so bad.You dont need to mess with drivelines.You could use the rad and high water pump from a D400+ truck.

If you dont want big tires just do a body swap.

By the way,I think 67and 68 are the BEST years for W200s!
Doug

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

I would say just switch the frame and use blocks for a body lift, unless your building a Monster Truck. :Thumbsup
Doug