W200 Drag Link

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
restopaul
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

W200 Drag Link

Post by restopaul »

Anyone know where I can get a new drag link for my '65 W200 TownWagon? So far custom made at $320 is all I can find. :banghead Thanks.....Paul

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Check with Rareparts.com

nevermind i just looked them up and they want $338.00 !! damn!

I got mine from them for $130 threw NAPA, It was for a d100 though

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

If you are ok with a non stock option,this is what I am going to do.I have a 3 piece drag link off a mid 70s chevy hd 3/4 ton 4x4. It is 2" longer than the W drag link. Using a chop saw, I am going to cut 1" of of each of the threaded ends,and 1/4" off each end of the coupling.Then when reassembled it will be the right length.Then since the chevy ends are bigger I am going to ream the steering and pittman arms with my 1-1/2" per foot reamer and put it together.It wont be stock,but it will be adjustable,replaceable and cheap. :Thumbsup

Doug

restopaul
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by restopaul »

Doug, I have to do more reasearch, but I may have found an answer. NAPAs tie rod ends for my 3500lb. front axle have 3/4 -16 threads. Part #s NCP 2692058 and 2059. Bulletproofsteering.com sells tie rod tubing with 3/4 -16 threads. If the tie rod ends (I plan on checking tomorrow with my existing tie rod) fit my pitman arm then I'll just make my own adjustable drag link. Probably cost half of what I've found around custom made. The cheapest so far has been $290......Paul

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Paul,
your idea should work great!I'm 99% sure the size and taper are the same.How much do they want for the 3/4 DOM.Do they thread it,or sell inserts? Keep us posted!

The reason i'm using the chevy link is because im putting in a 60F and need to go from under the steering arm to over,so I need a end with a large taper to take care of the extra meat removed in the flip.

Doug

restopaul
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by restopaul »

Doug, I went out this afternoon and popped some ends lose to test stuff out. The tie rod ends have smaller tapers. :banghead I'm going to call bulletproofsteering.com on Monday to see how much he wants to make up a drag link. After looking at his site it seems it might be cheaper for him to make it than me buying seperate pieces. I'll let you know how I make out......Paul

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Wow, I would have thought they were the same. I know for sure the tie rod ends on the sweptline D 300 have the right size taper,but the threaded side is only 5/8".I wonder if the older W300 tie rod ends would work? I know on the newer dana 60 front the taper is different.
I built a drag link for my yellow w200 using old ford school bus tierod.It had 1" threaded ends.I had to use two right hand thread,as the left was obsolete.That was 20 years ago!
That would be cool if bulletproofsteering can make something up.If its cheep too,that would be double cool!

Doug

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

restopaul wrote:Doug, I went out this afternoon and popped some ends lose to test stuff out. The tie rod ends have smaller tapers. :banghead I'm going to call bulletproofsteering.com on Monday to see how much he wants to make up a drag link. After looking at his site it seems it might be cheaper for him to make it than me buying seperate pieces. I'll let you know how I make out......Paul
Let us know how you came out. I need an adjustable drag link for my 69 W100 too.
1969 Adventurer W100

restopaul
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by restopaul »

Here's he latest. Someone on Joe's Power Wagon Forum helped me find an NOS drag link. $240, which is $50 cheaper than anything else I could find. http://www.collectorsautosupply.com has 21 left in stock after I bought mine. Part # is 2234 523. Fits both W100 & W200.....Paul :Thumbsup :Thumbsup