Power Assist (or lack of)

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Swept-up

Power Assist (or lack of)

Post by Swept-up »

My '71 W100 has the remnants of the power assist, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know where I can get parts for the control valve/drag link assy.? Please, no laughing!

HighDesertDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HighDesertDodge »

There is a place that I bought parts from in Nevada, called L&M Powersteering. I think the part that you are looking for cost me $250. I will have to ask my friend if he remembers what town it was in. I think it was Reno.I still have said part, never installed it. Its been sitting on a shelf in my garage for about eight years. Yep, went out to the garage and found it.
Well on my way to becoming that eccentric old man in every town.(crazy as a s#@thouse rat) With a yard full of desireable old vehicles that tells you, Sorry they're not for sale..... Someday I'm going to fix them.

Swept-up

Steering Valve

Post by Swept-up »

I don't know if my previous reply came through; I'm using a loaner pc from the IT dept.
Can you please give me a call asap and let me know if your valve is good and if you'll sell it to me? Thanks!!

Rick Simons
Home-541-935-0659
Cell-559-308-2865
e-mail rns@niroinc.com

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Are you sure this part is the problem?

If the pump doesn't operate properly, this system becomes insanely hard to steer. Also what about the ram?

MarsMonster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle/WA

Post by MarsMonster »

The whole setup looks like this:

1966 D100
SW
360 A727

Swept-up

Drag Link

Post by Swept-up »

Hmmm, now the plot thickens; I can see several differences between your system and mine. It looks like your pitman arm is curved; mine is straight. The valve I have is a telescoping unit; the part that attaches to the pitman arm slides in and out of the other section that attaches to the steering arm. Also, the cylinder on mine looks much bigger, but it's painted blue so it may not be original. Finally, the pump I have looks like it came from a small tractor and is shimmed with washers, etc., to somewhat align it. Plus, it uses a remote resevoir, which I know isn't 70's era Dodge. I did find a source that will rebuild my valve, cylinder, and supply a rebuilt pump for $767. I'll post the link in a few minutes. Thanks for the photo!

Swept-up

Power Steering

Post by Swept-up »

nfury8, I really haven't looked into the problem in depth; I stopped looking as soon as I saw that the section of the control valve that attaches to the pitman arm is bent. I figured at that poin that the valve probably wasn't working. I also don't know exactly how much assist these systems provide; it may be working after all. I do know the boxes on these things have a ratio of 45:1 or something like that (ok, I exaggerated a little). Here's the place I found that can fix it all up:
http://www.powersteeringparts.com

oldopelguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saint Michael
State: MN

corvette/mustang

Post by oldopelguy »

If you're up for a bit of fab-work the valve assembly from the 63-83 or so Corvettes and early 70's mustangs will work as well, but you will need to cut down and thread a non-assist drag arm to screw into th valve assembly. Those units have a lot more assist as well.

If it workes right I'm attaching a pic of one from one from one of the many sellers on e-vil-bay peddling them for @$200 rebuilt or new. The hoses attach on the back end, as opposed to the middle like ours, but that's not a huge deal if you're getting new hoses. On the one in the pic the rod attaches to the left hand side, threaded into the body then locked in by the crimping bolt.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Swept up,

Do you have a Garrison brand controll valve on your truck?

Doug

Swept-up

Steering

Post by Swept-up »

That's a good idea about using the Ford valve; only problem is I don't have my shop built yet so I have to try to go with bolt-ons for a while.
I don't have a clue what brand of valve it is; perhaps if I clean it I'll see some kind of ID marks on it. Thanks for the replies!

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Re: corvette/mustang

Post by duracell »

oldopelguy wrote:If you're up for a bit of fab-work the valve assembly from the 63-83 or so Corvettes and early 70's mustangs will work as well, but you will need to cut down and thread a non-assist drag arm to screw into th valve assembly. Those units have a lot more assist as well.

If it workes right I'm attaching a pic of one from one from one of the many sellers on e-vil-bay peddling them for @$200 rebuilt or new. The hoses attach on the back end, as opposed to the middle like ours, but that's not a huge deal if you're getting new hoses. On the one in the pic the rod attaches to the left hand side, threaded into the body then locked in by the crimping bolt.
would you mind sending me the info on this? it might be something to consider in the future
as always and sometimes not,steve

oldopelguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saint Michael
State: MN

Re: corvette/mustang

Post by oldopelguy »

duracell wrote:
would you mind sending me the info on this? it might be something to consider in the future
I haven't actually done that myself, it was just a suggestion for people looking around. When one of the stock units on my trucks finally dies I'm going to swap in one of these:
http://www.sweetmfg.biz/products2.asp?edit_id=33

This is a completely aftermarket valve assembly made for stock cars. It goes between the steering column and the gear box, and controls oil to a remotely mounted cylinder. By it's very nature it's going to require some cutting and welding of steering components, but I plan on doing it in conjunction with a tilt column swap so that should cut down the fab work some. I'm not sure how well it'll last, but assuming the fluids are maintained and such it should hold up all right. They run @$250 new http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1963,17 ... ervos.html
but you can find them used for a lot less.