Another steering column swap question...

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Another steering column swap question...

Post by Floorguy »

I'm sure this one has already been asked, but what year/s and vehicle/s does anyone recommend for swapping in a tilt/auto/column shift unit into a 71' D-100?

I did the Protech power steering swap, but have not finished the column modifications yet. And after seeing the previous post, I'm wondering what else would work instead of Flaming River. I'd like to use a stock unit, not too custom.

Any input would be helpful.

Snowdogg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Snowdogg »

I'd like to see that protech swap do you have any pics?

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

Snowdogg wrote:I'd like to see that protech swap do you have any pics?
Yes, but I switched cameras, so I'll need a little time. :Thumbsup

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I have a tilt/telescope column in mine from a 70's Chrysler. Had to shorten it and make a bracket for under the dash. I just hooked it up with a stock rag joint. Make SURE you get a pretty straight shot to the steering box and the right distance or you will eat up the rag joint in short order. :Thumbsup I know this from experience. :pale :lol: Been fine for about 5 years now. I did away with the column key and the steering lock. Then I used a sawzall to cut the column cover and fiberglassed it up to look like it never had any of that junk.

Just so you know, most or all of the US OEM's used GM columns for their tilts at least through the 70's and part of the 80's or later.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Snowdogg wrote:I'd like to see that protech swap do you have any pics?
Here's some pics of mine while I was doing the install. I was working with Steve at Prototech because he didn't have a column shift automatic truck to work with. I had the engine out in the first pic for other reasons but you didn't have to take it out to install the Prototech setup. I love it.

Here my automatic column is in but not finished. Needed to be shortened some. This is from the bottom, with engine back in. That's a 440 engine and you can see that there is plenty of clearance.

The Prototech setup is great, It's too bad Steve wasn't able to continue producing it. I'm just glad I got mine while it was available.
1969 Adventurer W100

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Here's some more pics of my column mods. The first pic is a cad drawing that Steve sent me while we were discussing how to make the shift tube. It came with a new nylon bearing around the bottom.

This is a pic of the larger tube and end. The top end is just big enough to slide over the original shift tube. It just fits over the Borgeson joint at the bottom.

This is a pic of the final position. It's close but works fine. Steve supplied a telescoping steering shaft with my kit. I extended it slightly to get clearance to tighten up the screw in the joint, then positioned the columm in place.

When you are putting it back together be sure to position the column so that the tab on the collar at the dash goes back into the hole in the column. This is if you use your original column.
1969 Adventurer W100