new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley
State: WA

Re: new box power steering

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

I can do a w-truck man and a Power D-truck one? if that would help or good measurements and PICs

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Carrying this over to the next page for everyone. :2cents
CPPFRANK wrote:To all of the Sweptline owners and forum members, I would like to say thank you on behalf of CPP for your input regarding us hoping to make a bracket that gets our gear box to fit for the D100/D200 trucks. As Kurt has been in contact with us here in helping us aquire parts that will help put us ahead in our R&D, we are in need of more informatin from the Dodge Truck community to make this go as fast and smoothly as possible.

Questions we have are, what years will the bracket configuration fit? Is there a different pitman arm from manual to factory power assist? How many years used a rag joint coupler and was the column ever one piece with the gear box?

These types of questions is how we will be able to make a kit that is cost effective that covers the appropriate years.

Thank you all in advance

Francisco Magallanes
Technical Advisor/Sales
Classic Performance Products, Inc.
http://www.classicperform.com
P 714 522-2000 x 135
F 714 522-2500
378 E. Orangethorpe Ave. Placentia CA 92870.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

i am not 100% sure of this but i think the steering gear itself is the same from 61 to 71. it may go back further but i am not sure.

for trucks already equipped with power assist here is a good photo of what that configuration looks like:

note this example is a 64 truck. there are two slightly different styles of this power steering control valve but they are very similar at first glance.

the major differences are the hard lines and hoses change from this to something slightly different in later years and length of the control valve components change but i am not sure about the overall length.

i am very interested in this conversion as i have never liked the power steering in my truck - it leaves much to be desired in terms of finding the sweet spot in the control valve and you're left with the feeling that you're simply "guiding" the truck down the road and nudging the control valve to gently correct it.

i look forward to seeing this come to fruition.

Ben Simons

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Post by exline »

I have 2 1968 D100 pickups. one is manual and one is power steering. I took pictures of both and a couple measurements.
they use different arms but they are the same length.
1968 D100 manual steering
1968 D100 manual steering
steering manual.jpg (115.27 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
1968 D100 power steering
1968 D100 power steering
steering power.jpg (121.57 KiB) Viewed 2748 times

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

ALL of the 61 -71 D100/200 (2 wheel drive) and 61-71 W100/200 (4 wheel drive) used a rag joint.
Exline has already given the dimensions of the D 100/200 pitman.
Not to muddy the waters,but if you wanted to offer a pitman arm for the W 100/200 (4 wheel drive) they have holes centered at 6 3/8" and are straight(no power assist was offered for 61-68 W100/200). I have a W100/200 pitman arm that I could send you if needed.

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LONG BEACH
State: CA

Post by CPPFRANK »

Thank you EXLINE & CSS-REGISTRY for the photos. Thats clarified several questions already.

Do you guys see any issue with us taking the bend out of the drag link? Any clearance issues?

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

CPPFRANK wrote:Thank you EXLINE & CSS-REGISTRY for the photos. Thats clarified several questions already.

Do you guys see any issue with us taking the bend out of the drag link? Any clearance issues?
i think the bend is there so the ball joint has full movement in suspension travel.

the ball joint mounting surface on the arm that mounts to the spindle/knuckle is parallel to the ground.

i don't think the kink in the link would have any clearance issues if it was straight or kinked.

Ben

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CPPFRANK »

THANK YOU BEN.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

The drag link on my D200 Crew is also 14" long. I had the pitman with the curve on it when I got the truck but manual steering. I am running a straight pitman now with no issues. Possibly someone removed factory PS from my truck who knows.

catfishmoon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shelby
State: IN

Post by catfishmoon »

I have read all of your posts.My hat is off to all you guys ,and to the company. I was looking into a rack system for both of my trucks. This is the stuff that makes Dodge people the greatest ,Again thanks guys .I'm new here but I'll be back

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CPPFRANK »

kurt wrote:It does fit the stock steering column and rag joint. But then again I am not sure of my cab alignment. I moved it to work today. I also also loosened the steering stops and screwed them all the way in and I still get lock to lock. I ordered new rag joint from rock auto. Ben and BBail I will send you the drawings tomorrow.

EDIT - The stock rag joint is 3/4-36 the new box input is 3/4-30. It appeared to fit when using my old rusty one but when I got the new one it was not right. You will have to use the one that comes with the box or find a 3/4-30 that will fit the column.
Stereing Coupler.jpg
Can anyone provide a measurement for the rag joint mounting bolts to the flange welded on the column center to center?

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Post by exline »

I measured the distance between the bolts for the rag joint on the steering box and also on the steering column and they are both 2 1/2" center to center., but its hard to see that in the picture.
Hope that is the measurement you needed

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

[Coupler.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

Can anyone provide a measurement for the rag joint mounting bolts to the flange welded on the column center to center?[/quote]

2 -3/8th's (6/16 th's :lol: ) center to center. :Thumbsup
Attachments
045 (640x480).jpg

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CPPFRANK »

Thank you Exline & Txas2step,

So far its looking pretty consistant with product we readily stock. I will keep you all informed on progress as it comes.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I have an NOS one I can measure or I can send someone a repop (worthless to me) I think they are pretty standard. :2cents

Thanks for moving forward!

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton
State: TN

Post by RobertGilliam »

Thanks Frank ready to order mine when you get them ready

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

CPPFRANK wrote:To all of the Sweptline owners and forum members, I would like to say thank you on behalf of CPP for your input regarding us hoping to make a bracket that gets our gear box to fit for the D100/D200 trucks. As Kurt has been in contact with us here in helping us aquire parts that will help put us ahead in our R&D, we are in need of more informatin from the Dodge Truck community to make this go as fast and smoothly as possible.

Questions we have are, what years will the bracket configuration fit? Is there a different pitman arm from manual to factory power assist? How many years used a rag joint coupler and was the column ever one piece with the gear box?

These types of questions is how we will be able to make a kit that is cost effective that covers the appropriate years.

frame mounting is the same 61 to 71

pitman arms are different for manual to power assist but the splines on the box are the same

they all used a rag joint or a HD coupler but again input splines are the same

column was never attached to box in those years.

I have a question. Could you make the box with the correct splines on out put to fit the stock pitman arms?

Thank you all in advance

Francisco Magallanes
Technical Advisor/Sales
Classic Performance Products, Inc.
http://www.classicperform.com
P 714 522-2000 x 135
F 714 522-2500
378 E. Orangethorpe Ave. Placentia CA 92870.

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CPPFRANK »

Hello Kaegi,

We appreciate your input.

We definitely could engineer a box that used the exact same spines as the Dodge truck box but the reason why we are pursuing this is because we already have a product that with very little additional machining of a bracket, we can adapt to work on a new vehicle line for a reasonable price. If we make one specifically for the Dodge truck spline, we have no way of knowing how many is too many or too little aside of the cost of having the tooling made. With a swap of a Pitman arm, we can call it good this way.

67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley
State: WA

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

So how close are you to knowing what part we would have to buy outside of the kit or would you make the part of it rag joint Toyota p-arm are of the kit swapping them out for the one you sell with it I know I ready to pull the trigger

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: montrose
State: CO

Post by rimerson »

I have the box mounted with the plate I made off the drawing from earier post, it was easy to make and fits great so Im ready for the last part the pitman arm. So I hope CPP is getting close to having it done.