Lots of Questions

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Lots of Questions

Post by dodgeboykim »

zmandan wrote:I guess the question now is ... Can I find an input shaft that I can put in the 86 trans to work with my bellhousing. My luck is that my 66 input shaft will not work in the 86 trans... bearing type, ratio etc., etc., etc. And from what I understand, the rear of the 66 trans does not have the correct bolt pattern for the TC adaptor to bolt up (and I’m sure that would require a different output shaft!!!!!!!)

I guess the admonishment I got in a PM earlier to, “just get the right parts” is justified.

My hope with this setup was to eliminate a drive shaft and two u joints! But it sounds like it may be more like Pandora’s box :banghead

Thanks for the input

Anyone got any good news? :pale

Maybe 2WD ain’t so bad!

Dan

You could use all the 86 parts from bell housing/Clutch etc through to T case cross member with 86 T case. Hydraulic slave can be adapted to the 86 Bell housing. Remove the cross member that spans from the rear spring perch area(Completely). Your 86 T case cross member with some modifications will connect the frame together to maintain rigidness(or fabricate a new one). 69 to 71 W/D series trucks do not have the cross member near rear of springs.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

zmandan wrote:
Anyone got any good news? :pale

Dan
I didn't think the NP205 was available in 86. Maybe it is all stuff swapped in.

Edit: The NP205 was standard in 86 on 1 tons and some 3/4 tons. Most trucks got the NP208 but I'm not sure which 3/4 tons got the 205.

zmandan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Asheville
State: NC

Post by zmandan »

Just texted the guy again. The trans/xfer case is out of a 1988 w350... so one ton.

Dan

zmandan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by zmandan »

It looks like if I can get a 65 or earlier input shaft I might be able to swap it to the 88 model NP 435. Everything I read indicates they used a tapered bearing on the input shaft starting in 66 through early 86. This means that my 66 would have a tapered bearing and the 88 would be a ball bearing. But the earlier (62-65 I think) had a ball bearing. Might be a long shot but it’s worth a try!

So, anybody have a pre 66 NP435 input shaft (and retainer) or know a good vendor who might?

Or could the shafts be the same with only a different bearing and retainer???

zmandan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by zmandan »

When I search online the only difference I see in the descriptions for the Dodge input shafts is the length, diameter and spline & gear tooth count. There seems to be no delineation on the bearing type ball vs tapered roller. So confusing!! :thinking

zmandan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by zmandan »

Gave up on this and sold the trans. Made a couple of hundred $ on it!

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Hobcobble wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 am
I would, however, say that even from the factory, these set-ups were nothing to write home about. They were "sensitive" and finicky. Some here have come up with a decent cross-over steering system .... maybe worth investigating??
John
I feel the same about that hydraulic cylinder setup. When asking that question, I came across this after market power steering conversion box at EZ Street (is there a reason linking that company's real name is "NOT ALLOWED"???): Power Steering conversion kit #6169PSK-400D Has anybody here tried it or has reliable info on it? Seems like there might be bad blood involved.

To install a similar unit I would need to make room for the Saginaw power steering pump on my big block: replace the water pump and housing with a right-side inlet and change the radiator outlet as well (in other words, rebuild the radiator with a 4-row core). If the truck overheats in the summertime, I'll do that one because the work I do here is at such slow speeds air flow through the radiator is an issue. My old 318 W200 overheated like clockwork.

I'll see if the wife can park the truck "as is" first. Still haven't finished adjusting the steering box yet, as that ball screw adjustment one has to do first looks tricky to lock properly. The cross shaft adjustment is no problem. Filling it took for bloody ever to get the air out because it was relatively cold today.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org