1971 steering column diagram needed

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels etc..

1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:47 pm

The steering column in my 71 D200 auto flops all over the place at the top side by the turn signal switch. I'm thinking it's the upper column bushing/bearing. I've never had one of these apart so does anyone have a detailed disassembly of one with pics or have a shop exploded diagram so I can get an idea of what might be the cause of this issue?
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby classiclvr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 am

yup....same here
classiclvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:41 pm
City: lititz
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby MadMC63 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:56 am

I sent you both a PM. Provide me with your emails and I'll send you a jpeg exploded view from the Parts manual and any other info you need. Be mindful that the bushing you are talking about is a bearing and that bearing is surrounded by a rubber isolator and that rubber isolator has a small staple in it that provides the only ground allowing your horn to work, don't remove it.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?
User avatar
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 pm
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Are the upper and lower bearings available along with the bearing retainers? If so where can I get them?
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby MadMC63 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 am

I've seen the upper bearing 1828911 is available on eBay and Mopar Mall but think the price is to high, $90.00 to $158.00. You should be able to match it up somewhere. The lower 2907597 is on eBay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/311784247706?rmvSB=true
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?
User avatar
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 pm
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby MadMC63 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 am

That ones gone now. This doesn't have a picture but is the right number.
http://www.connecticutclassiccarparts.c ... derby=date
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?
User avatar
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 pm
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby johnah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Probably not the bearing, remove the steering wheel then the turn signal mechanicsam. You should see the head of two retainer bolts if their lose you found the problem. Pull the housing you'll need to replace them (the bolts) and the square nuts under them, when you tighten them ( the nuts ) they slide out and lock in the square notches in the column tube. I have a pic that might help but it's to big to load. PM a email to me if you want it.
Good luck My email is johnh47659@hotmail.com
User avatar
johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 pm
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:10 am

Johnah sent an email to you. Anyone have any tips on how to remove the 3 spoke horn button without breaking it?

Image
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby PwrWgnDrvr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:51 am

Pry out gently at the base with a screwdriver, between each spoke separately, while lifting. U have to release the 3 catch points.
PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
 
Posts: 5062
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby MadMC63 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:55 pm

1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?
User avatar
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 pm
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this excessive play? Not around my tools for another week so can't tear into it until then. Wanting to get a good idea on what I'll need to replace while I'm in there. I know I need a new shifter collar it's dried out and cracked really bad. Know where I can find one?

Image
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby MadMC63 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:21 pm

It looks like the bearing has disintegrated in the indicator housing not to mention the housing looks destroyed. Even the housing that holds the shift lever looks loose.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?
User avatar
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 pm
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby johnah » Wed May 03, 2017 11:09 am

johnah wrote:Probably not the bearing, remove the steering wheel then the turn signal mechanicsam. You should see the head of two retainer bolts if their lose you found the problem. Pull the housing you'll need to replace them (the bolts) and the square nuts under them, when you tighten them ( the nuts ) they slide out and lock in the square notches in the column tube. I have a pic that might help but it's to big to load. PM a email to me if you want it.
Good luck My email is johnh47659@hotmail.com

The nuts and bolts that hold the hub in the steering tube are definitely loose.
User avatar
johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 pm
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Wed May 03, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm going to pull the steering wheel next week since I'll have my tools with me. Hoping not to much damage is done inside. I'll replace the bearing while I'm in there and also need to get a shift collar housing since it's in bad shape. Where can I find the upper bearing insulator and lower bearing? Anything else I should replace while it's apart?
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby johnah » Wed May 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Crewcabstripper wrote:I'm going to pull the steering wheel next week since I'll have my tools with me. Hoping not to much damage is done inside. I'll replace the bearing while I'm in there and also need to get a shift collar housing since it's in bad shape. Where can I find the upper bearing insulator and lower bearing? Anything else I should replace while it's apart?

The insulator is hard to find, more than likely the bearing is ok. When I had my problem I was able to find both, but the bearing was good and the insulator needed to be replaced. As for the lower I think its a nylon bushing also more than likely not bad. The inter housing is where you'll find most of the play, I'd say. Good luck when I put my column back together I got a perfect line up on the retainer bolts the first time but had a wire caught under the housing. After I pulled part it took over and hour to get it to line up correctly again.
User avatar
johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 pm
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Wed May 03, 2017 8:18 pm

johnah wrote:
Crewcabstripper wrote:I'm going to pull the steering wheel next week since I'll have my tools with me. Hoping not to much damage is done inside. I'll replace the bearing while I'm in there and also need to get a shift collar housing since it's in bad shape. Where can I find the upper bearing insulator and lower bearing? Anything else I should replace while it's apart?

The insulator is hard to find, more than likely the bearing is ok. When I had my problem I was able to find both, but the bearing was good and the insulator needed to be replaced. As for the lower I think its a nylon bushing also more than likely not bad. The inter housing is where you'll find most of the play, I'd say. Good luck when I put my column back together I got a perfect line up on the retainer bolts the first time but had a wire caught under the housing. After I pulled part it took over and hour to get it to line up correctly again.


Where did you find the insulator?
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby johnah » Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 am

Maybe e bay , I cant remember I know I searched around a lot before I found one. FYI take pictures as you disassemble , if I had taken more the assemble might have be easier (just say'n)
May the Fourth be with You :lol:
User avatar
johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 pm
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Got the upper part of the column torn apart. Good news is I think I have all the screws and not missing any hardware. Bad news is the indicator housing is absolutely destroyed. Bearing seems usable but will try to replace it anyways. Isolator looks alright wish I could find one though. Does anyone see any other issues with the column? Or would a new indicator housing do the trick to make it tight again? Anyone ever see one shattered apart like this? I haven't and I've rebuilt some old ford truck columns similar to this one.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby MadMC63 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 am

I've never seen anything that bad before either kind of defies reason. Get the isolator P.N. and start checking all the different N.O.S. vendor sites keeping in mind that the same isolator and bearing was used on the cars too.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?
User avatar
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 pm
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 1971 steering column diagram needed

Postby Crewcabstripper » Thu May 11, 2017 7:02 am

MadMC63 wrote:I've never seen anything that bad before either kind of defies reason. Get the isolator P.N. and start checking all the different N.O.S. vendor sites keeping in mind that the same isolator and bearing was used on the cars too.


Know of any good NOS vendors to try? Other then the indicator housing anything else look bad or would I be fine with replacing that one part?
Crewcabstripper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm
City: Dude
State: PA

Next

Return to *SUSPENSION/BRAKE HELP*

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron