new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Re: new box power steering

Post by oklamopar »

Waiting in anticipation of having power steering :dance
Last edited by oklamopar on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

rimerson wrote:I have the box mounted with the plate I made off the drawing from earier post, it was easy to make and fits great so Im ready for the last part the pitman arm. So I hope CPP is getting close to having it done.

I am using the CPP chevy pitman arm right now but I had to put a washer on it under the castle nut and its about an inch short. I only drive the truck in my driveway right now since I am no where near done with it but its working. I will buy a new arm correct when they get it done.

HeavyFlatHead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HeavyFlatHead »

Kurt,
I am still following along, hope I am better by summer to install this box. As I said in one past post there are companies that make custom pitman arms. Here is a link to one that does forged units for cars to large trucks.
http://www.powersandsonsllc.com/pitman_arm.HTML
I do not know how the size needed as my truck is in storage. If you could get a quote that would be great. This way even if the larger Dodge trucks use a different arm it could be sourced. Of course price could be a problem.

There is another outfit that has a complete listing off all pitman arms by manf. I would be susprised if GM did not have one in the correct length. The Dodge hole on the bottom could be different, or if bigger a remear could be used to size. But I would think the first option would be the least costly.
http://www.andysautosport.com/pitman_arms.html

There are other companies that do this but this one looks like they know what they are doing.

Thanks again for taken this so far, :clap
Ed.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I am not goiong to do anything with Pitman arms as I belive all of the D100/D200 and likely 300s could use the same straight one for this conversion. If you needed a 1 off the box has a toyota output spline so any compentent 4x4 shop could make it.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

Sweet1960D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakbank,MB, Canada
State: Foreign

Post by Sweet1960D100 »

I am so excited about this :dance
I can't wait to have my truck converted to PS. It is so difficult for me to drive it without it :pale
Lady owner of a 1960 D100 Swepty! :)

dodged200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: kokomo, IN

Post by dodged200 »

Any more progress made on this? I would love to have power steering!

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: montrose
State: CO

Post by rimerson »

Finally got steering hooked up and started engine and it is so nice to stand by truck and steer without grunting and useing to hands. All the parts from CCR work great, but the pitman arm needs to be 1" longer to be able to get it to turn stop to stop. Its about 1/4"from right stop. So wait untill they get the kit ready and it will work GREAT, and you wont have to make the plate like Kurt and I did. The rest hooks up real easy, cut off the old rag joint end 1 " up, grind to 3/4DD and buy there rag joint, cut steering tube off 2", move steering plate over 1 3/4" to right, hook it all up and DONE.

67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley
State: WA

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

has anyone herd anything about whats going on? are they looking at doing this or ? as I am ready order a kit for a dodge or the kit that would work the best summers coming prime time to get some work done and drive our trucks

carterkid63crew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Westminster
State: MA

Post by carterkid63crew »

I have a toyota box i was planning on putting in my 63 w200 but i think that this would be an even better fit. I think im going to pull the trigger and go ahead and buy this setup. I already have a flat pitman arm that i bought for the toyota box that measures 6 inches from Center line to centerline and i belive that it will bolt to this box. I mocked up the toyota pitman arm with the sector shaft holes alinged (eyeballed pitman arm hole with hole in framerail) and with it vertical (wheels strait) the draglink would not be parallel. Kurt you mentioned how you initially built your setup with a chevy pitman arm correct? Could you maybe measure its legnth from hole CL to CL? I think i may have to hold out for the arm there produceing with the kit. thanks To Kurt and all of you who posted Photos and info to enable Classic performance to engineer this setup. I salute you :salut

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I am at work right now. I have the spec sheet for the pitman arm I used and it says 6 inches center to center. I get lock to lock with my setup but I am running the crew axle which is different than a normal D200. I am also supposed to have the 7 or 71/2 inch arm. I will switch to the CPP if I have any issues or just to have it correct.

I was going to go Toyota or Ford before this one showed up. It seemed like the same amount or more work to use one of those and then I would have an old steering box with not so good mounting.

I emailed CPP March 12 out of curiosity and they were still working on it at that point. They said they were about ready for a mock install to a truck.

Fugowwee
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Helena
State: MT

Post by Fugowwee »

Kurt,

Thanks for all you have and are doing! How goes your project?

Later,
Fugowwee

carterkid63crew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Westminster
State: MA

Post by carterkid63crew »

Thanks for the quick reply. When I mocked up the toyota arm i have it was with a bare chassis, the nose of my truck as well as the complete drivetrain is out of the truck (12 valve cummins/zf6/np205). I did an add a leaf to the front springs to handle this new addition of weight and with the drivetrain in she squats back down to about level. I think that may put me about were i want to be with the yota arm.

Kurt i feal the same way in relation to the use of a toyota or ford Box. My friend was nice enough to seend me his toyota box from his lifted/locked/geared 85' yota wheeling rig when he went highsteer and i was phyced to be one step closer to power steering with the box in hand but upon inspection it was appearing to be just as you said, sketchy mounting options and old and abused. Im really glad i held off on its installation.

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rimerson »

In my 71 d100 the gear box works great but mine will not go to both wheel stops with there pitman arm. So I went to a friend that has a machine shop and we made a mock up of a pitman arm that is 7" center to center instead of 6" and it works great. now it goes to wheel stops and wheels center better. but this is not the best made because he doesn't have the proper tools to cut the splines so I'm waiting for CCR to machine the proper one.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I saw on a web site a Toyota "spud" which is the spline you need. It can be welded to a custom arm. As slow as i am working i will wait to see if these guys make what we need.

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rimerson »

Drove my truck down are dirt road no doors ,no hood, no bed, but DAMN was it nice to have power steering. now I don't even mind the standard tranny. don't need both hands to steer, stop shift both hands to turn. now I can drive it like a real truck. WOW I glad I found this sight and all of Kurts help to make this possible. Truck will be on hold for awhile as just found out my stepmom has cancer so I will need to help her through this tough time. I hope to start again as soon as we can get through this time of need. good luck on all your projects and hope to see you all soon

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

Nice that your steering works.

I have only driven mine up and down my 100 foot driveway and turned it around. At the time I had no front fenders or anything. I was able to palm the wheel lock to lock really easy where before it was all I could do to turn it at parking speed. I may actually reduce the pressure one I get it on the road. Earlier in this thread it says how with a simple shim.

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

sign me up!

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

I just noticed that this is a pretty old thread. Is there still forward progress on making this kit come true or is it a bust?

67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley
State: WA

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

Ok guys whose on board with get a steering kit I'm in R&D field so I going to start down this road ,, So I am going to do one for my Power Wagon I need to know how many are going to want to do this ? I think we can made a kit that only need some holes drill in the frame would like this to end up being a bolt together kit with only a few holes to drill and nut and bolts I be starting then the next week or two

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

As far as I know CPP is still working on a kit. They have to have it perfect to be a saleable product so that is taking some time. If you use the plate I posted in this thread it is close to a bolt in kit. You have to deal with making the flat plate and modifying the column for the rag joint but its pretty easy.

There is a snag with column alignment which I belive will be different on every single truck just due to age and condition of cab mounts or reapir work people have done to them. This is the case with every sweptline steering box install I have read. It is close enough to work though on mine and rimerson's.