engine swap or not

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
chickenpimp

engine swap or not

Post by chickenpimp »

on my 71 short bed sweptside, i am considering removing the stock 198 slant six with stick and replacing with a 360 or 400 big block that i have. I am wanting to modify truck to be a looker and runner. I have even considered leaving the six in and warming it up with a 2 or 3 carb intake and setup with headers , cam, electronic ignition etc. I need to make up my mind soon so I can get started. I am looking for some input from others on what they think would be cool. Also contemplating the front end sitution, I would love disc brakes and better handling. any ideas
doug

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

the more cubic inches you start with, the more power you can make for the same money. 360 has more rpm range, the 400 has more low end torque. in a truck thats gonna be used as a truck, id go with the 400. one of the guys here goes by baddeeds has found a stroker kit for the 400 and has his truck in the 12's at the strip. as a wind up toy to stomp guys light to light id go 360, of course the poly 318 is the best motor out there, but it would take too much to put in your truck. not that im biased in any way :lol:
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Doug

Post by HellBelly »

Doug,

I'm a /6 fan, I like to be different. Looking forward to building mine.

If you want more info on /6's and what you can do with them. make sure you browse http://www.slantsix.org

Those guys have TONS of info, Super Charged /6's and all sorts of stuff

Now Trey is right.. The POLY is my V8 of choice also! Once again Different!

Welcome aboard BTW!
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Well both Trey & Hellbelly are right , the 400 can be made into a 451 strocker , & I myself have gotton 400 hp from a 360 so now it's up to you , do you want a very very fast truck or a very fast truck? big block is the very very fast , & will pull the weight a little easier & the 360 will still stomp a mud hole in those 5.0 stangs
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Yeao

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Trey did hit the nail on the head, the bigger the motor the more horsepower ya start with! but I think any motor can be built regardless of the size! I would go with my gut feelin! and if you take a crank from a 440 and put it in the 400 you'll have the 451 stroker badeeds built, keep in mind the inside of his motor isn't stock either, He was able to really build a nice Sweptline! Makes me proud to know him!~