explain this to me

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

explain this to me

Post by wideblock »

on my 413, it has enough blow by to put a steady drip of oil out the breather and on the freakin exhaust manifold which makes for a nice smoke show at freeway speeds. but, why is it that theres enough blow by to blow out the brether, but not smoke out the tail pipes??? even when i nail it to the floor, it doesnt come from the pipes, just out the breather. this makes no sence to me. seems like if the rings were worn enough to blow the oil out the breather, then id be seeing it out the tail pipes as well. could this be a problem not related to the worn rings and maybe the vent system?? i have checked the pcv, its working right and seems to have good suction from the carb. so im getting enough blow by to over power a well working pcv. i should be seeing tail pipe smoke as well. what gives???????
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Sounds similar to an issue you had with the crew and blowing oil out the dipstick at highway speeds. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

oneowner71
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Fort Worth, TX

Post by oneowner71 »

Trey, I've got the same problem with the 383 in the Chally. I even went as far as to hook up a PCV vacuum hose up to the breather, but it still pushes smoke out that side. It's got good compression, runs well, and has absolutely no spoke from the tailpipes.

My only thoughts are a combination of bad valve guides, seats, or something on the end that lets exhaust pass into the valve cover galley. But to be honest, I really don't know. So if you figure it out, please share... I would love that smoke to go away, since without a windshield it is really annoying!
Thanks, Clint
1971 D-100, 318 3-spd
1970 Dude, 383 / A727
1974 Challenger, 383/A727 (451 5-speed, someday)
1971 Plymouth Satellite,
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

experiment

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

talked to a Stock Car Racer about a tube I saw on his racing motor that went from one valve cover to the other, He told me it was to equal the pressure of the two sides and relief the crank case pressure from blow by! no pvc just a rubber hose from one valve cover to the other side to equal the pressure, worth a try :study

etsweptster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etsweptster »

Does your valve cover have a baffle under the breather? If not, and you have no provision under the valve cover to add one, they make a breather gromment that has a baffle built into it. Without a baffle, the rocker arm directly below the breather just flips oil right up into it, which has nothing to due with blow by. Many valve covers do not have baffles, and this is a common problem. Hopefully it's as simple as that!
Pump gas small blocks rock!

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hola Gurus

The first series of big blocks only had four bolts to hold the valve cover on to the head ... they all seem to leak by the 10,000 mile mark.

The 1964 second series heads were also made with a six bolt head to valve cover change as an improvement to the leak problem. This modication helps for the first 50,000 miles and then they leak.

They all leak on the rear on to the exhaust manifold and the hot manifold smokes.

If your engine has smoke that comes from within, it is time for a over haul. In yester-year at the back yard repair center they would add a cleaning agent and run the engine for a while. When they thought it had run long enough, they made an oil change. This was followed by two more guick oil changes.

After this the engine was going to need the re-build any ole way for they had no idea of what they had did to the complete package.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

well, i think i got it figured out. over 115 psi in 6 cylinders. but, on 2 cylinders, #2 and #4, i have 90 and 30. so, im betting good money i blew the head gasket in the thin area that faces the lifter valley. this would not only explain the low compression, but the extreme blow by, and why i have no oil smoke from the tail pipe and all my plugs look perfect. ill know more tomorrow when the weather clears and i start tearing it down.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100