2 neutral positions

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

2 neutral positions

Post by soopernaut »

On my 70 D100 with the column mounted A727 there seems to be 2 neutral postions. It is P N R N D 2 1. Actually I don't know if the first N is a neutral or not but it isn't a forward or reverse gear. I am guessing that these trucks only used a light to tell you what gear you are in, as opposed to a needle. I was wondering if this would serve a purpose or if it is something that shouldn't be this way.
I don't plan on doing anything about it now and it doesn't seem to affect the drivability of the truck. I don't drive it much right now because I have no insurance, speedometer, fuel gauge, seatbelts, job, etc.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

the N between P and R is wrong. maybe just a gap in the shift, but not supposed to be there. as far as an indicator goes, you should have the clear plasic piece that goes on top of the column with a red needle. thats what they came with, but they do break and fall off.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

That must be one of those factory freak thing's , I've have never seen one like that , But Trey's right on what he said :Thumbsup
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I went back and looked at it after I posted this. There is no 1. Every gear is off by one position and 1 isn't even accessable. The needle must have fallen off too.

I'll probably eventually go with a floor shifter.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

soopernaut wrote:I went back and looked at it after I posted this. There is no 1. Every gear is off by one position and 1 isn't even accessable. The needle must have fallen off too.

I'll probably eventually go with a floor shifter.
Even if the needle has fallen off, I would bet if you crawled under your truck and looked at the shift linkage from steering column to tranny, you would find most of the bushings at their pivot points are sloppy. Good news, there is a fix and it is critical for anyone with a 727 torqueflite on the 69-71 trucks.

Go to your local Dodge dealer and tell them you need the neoprene bushing that sits in the shift lever where the linkage connects to the tranny. this bushing was used up until 92-93 I have a spare from a previous experience, but the part number on it is only 5 digits, won't match anything in Dodge catalog. Find an experienced parts guy, I think I paid 9. bucks each for 2.

It will tighten up your linkage so you can feel 1st gear kickdown, even without the pointer. Jim

Tighten up the linkage
03 Hemi Ram 2500