Push button tranns. help

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Sweet64

Push button tranns. help

Post by Sweet64 »

So I need a new case for my 727 because I broke it, well shattered it. So I drive the truck to the closest tranny shop to get a new case swapped out and all the internals replaced if need be. They called me and said that both pumps were shot and those were going to be awhile until they could find them. So I ge the call to come get the truck and as I show up I noticed it's still on the lift. I walk up and try to find out what the problem is and they can't find neutral. I stood there for about 30 mins. watching them play with the linkage and try to get it into neutral. So after an hour of standing there laughing at the fact that I was able to figure out that same problem in 15 mins. when I was 17 and they have been working on it for who knows how long. Well a couple days later thay called me and told me I could come pick it up. :clap So I am driving it back to my house in D and everything seems fine. I pull up to my house and I pulled up too far and tried to put it in reverse. Well the button went in easily but it took a few seconds like maybe 5 or 6 and then it engaged reverse. So I didn't think anything of it until I tried to put it into neutral. and I could barely push the button in. Once I got the button in it wouldn't go into neutral it stayed in reverse. So I tried to put it into drive and then into neutral and still had the same problem. So I figured they screwed something up and shut the truck off. Out of curiosity about if they fixed the neutral safety switch or not I started the truck. As I suspected they didn't and the truck started right up but didn't move, it was now in neutral. How it does that I have no clue and neither does the shop. Well I took the truck back to the shop but before I did I drove it around the block a few times to see if anything else was wrong.
If I put it into 1st and then accelerate and then shift into 2nd it won't shift. It will stay in first gear, and even if I rev. it to 6k it still won't shift. If i'm in drive and i try to down shift into 2nd, the button won't even go in and if I can get it to stay in it won't down shift.
So after taking it to the shop I tell them the problems i'm having and tell them to fix it. They call me and tell me it's done but once again when I showed up the truck's hood is up and the drivers door is open. Well they said they can't fix the problems and tell me that the cable is ruined or the push button is worn out. Well I know neither of these is the case and that they don't want to mess with something that will take a little TLC to get it right.

My questions are; does anyone have anypcs of their push button setup, i'm reffering to the back of it where the cable attatches to the button assembly? I want to look at the bracket that holds the cable and where the cable goes into the trannsmission. Last time I adjusted it was years ago and I didn't have to adjust it before it was right. I also want to compare whats right to what works to see if I can make it right.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to remedy the problems or things I should check, tips, tricks?

Thnaks for the help and sorry for being so long. All my stories about my truck seem to include precursors.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

do you want scans of the shop manual section on the adjustment procedures?
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Sweet64

Post by Sweet64 »

CSS-Registry wrote:do you want scans of the shop manual section on the adjustment procedures?
Sure, that would be awsome, anything other than my trial and error tactic wich ussualy ends up breaking something or screwing it up some how.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

After you get the scans, let me know if you
have any problem with this adjustment......

Are you sure they used the same valve body that
was taken out of the trans?? You will have to
pull the pan to tell for sure, will be dated on surface of the valve body, must be a 64 or earlier
valve body, if it happens to be a 65 (last year cable shift) that kind of stuff will happen.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

Sweet64

Post by Sweet64 »

Jeffc wrote:After you get the scans, let me know if you
have any problem with this adjustment......

Are you sure they used the same valve body that
was taken out of the trans??
I was wondering the same thing. But if they put a manual valve body in wouldn't it shift when I wanted it too? It shifts fine when it's in "drive". Would they be able to put a different valve body in there other than the right one?

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

yes - it may have a provision in the valve body lever for park when your push button is not designed for park.

it soulds like the adjustment is off to me.

scans forthcoming tonight.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

Sweet64

Post by Sweet64 »

CSS-Registry wrote:yes - it may have a provision in the valve body lever for park when your push button is not designed for park.

it soulds like the adjustment is off to me.

scans forthcoming tonight.

Ben
Thanks, I will get under there and try to adjust it after I get the info.

Also, if I pull and push on the cable with my hand it will shift fine. Thats what I had to do to find "N".

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

email sent to you with scans attached.

it sounds like adjustment to me. the instructions are clear and you'll need a buddy to help hold a button down while you set it.

keep us posted.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

Sweet64

Post by Sweet64 »

CSS-Registry wrote:email sent to you with scans attached.

it sounds like adjustment to me. the instructions are clear and you'll need a buddy to help hold a button down while you set it.

keep us posted.

Ben
Got it, look like some good reading.

Anybody know where I could get one of those manuals? I am in dire need.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

Come up on epay all the time.
just be sure to get one
covering> 100 to 700 conventional 4x4 forward control
Not many changes 62 to 64 so one of those years
should work just fine.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb