LA main bearing help

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
OldD200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Camden
State: SC

LA main bearing help

Post by OldD200 »

I’m rebuilding a 1970 LA 318 for my red D100. I just got the engine back from the machine shop and was preparing to check the clearance for the mains with plasti-gauge. The crank didn’t need turned and was just polished, the journals are std/std. When I pulled the bearings out of the box all had the oil grove on the upper shell, but one shell (other than the #3 thrust) had a grove on both, so upper and lower would both have a grove. The bearings are not in the same order as they go in the engine in the box (rear main bearing is in a middle slot in the box). The bearings are Sealed Power, and the box says 5095 MA, and have a smaller part numbers below the 5095, 6 14046 63268 4 and A05287. Perhaps the groved lower half is an improvement, and I’d use it if I knew what journal to use it on!

Anyone got a clue!

Thanks,

Oldd200

AKA Scott B. Davis
davissb@hotmail.com

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

if it fits the front main, id use it there. cant say i have ever done bearings on a dodge as of yet, but i know on the chevy blocks i have done in the past it went on the front. i was told by a machinist it aided in dropping the pressure a bit to help reduce the risk of blowing out the front seal on high rpm passes when the oil pressure would spike.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

OldD200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Camden
State: SC

Got it!

Post by OldD200 »

Good call Trey! I got a hold of an engine builder that looked each shell up by their individual number stamped in the back, and the fully grooved bearing is for the front main.

I would have guessed the front main also, but guessing can get expensive!

Thanks,

Scott