Rear End Adjustment

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
6973dodgecam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Levelland, Texas

Rear End Adjustment

Post by 6973dodgecam »

I have a 1968 D100 with a 8 3\4 rear end with 3.55 ratio. When you replace the bearing and seals on the right side how much do you tighten it and how do you use the threaded adjuster in the retainer plate on the right side? Can someone explain to me how you tighten it back up? Is there anyway that you can over tighten it?
Greg

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

With left side axle installed and both rear wheels in the air: Back the adjuster out some and install the right axle and tighten the retaining plate nuts to 30-35 ft-lbs. Turn the adjuster in until there is no end play. Back the adjuster out about four notches or about 1/3rd turn. Bearing end play should be 8 to 18 thousanths. Tap the axle end with a mallet to to seat it to be sure the end play reading is accurate. Install the adjuster lock. You might have to turn the adjuster slightly for the lock to engage. Then check the end play of the left axle. It should be within 2 thousanths of the right axle.
1969 Adventurer W100

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

Yes you can overtighten the adjuster, if you do it
can come off the threads or even strip them.
If you do not have a dial gauge to do the adjustment,
turn the adjuster (little at a time) all the way in till you fell no
play in both axles,
back off adjuster till you feal just (and I mean just) a little play, should be good to go.

Something to watch for is if the pin in the 3rd member
drops out on one side (does not happen often, but does happen. Rear end fluid can be sticky and will cause the pin to stick to the axle end when you pull it out of the tube). I always check down the axle tube with a
flash light to make sure that the pin is in place before pushing the axle down the tube. There should be nothing in the tube except the seal. The pin which the axles float against in the middle of the 3rd member should be in the very center of were the axle enters the 3rd member. All you should see of it is the head of the pin.
The pin has 3 parts> one spring clip in the center and 2 heads, one each side.
A long magnetic pickup tool will reach to put it back in
place if one side of the pin drops out; otherwise you
will have to pull the 3rd member out to put it back in.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!