Modern 5.7 Hemi Engine Swap

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
clean_rx8

Modern 5.7 Hemi Engine Swap

Post by clean_rx8 »

Hey guys, I recently won a settlement on a lemon car and instead of buying a new car I am going to make my swept a daily driver with a modern drivetrain. I am thinking about going with a 5.7 Hemi out of one of the Dodge trucks and cars of the last few years. I am looking for a motor/trans to drop right in. Does anyone out there know of someone who has done this or can you think of any potential problems that i might have? It should be a fairly simple swap since our engine bays are so big. Thanks,
JT

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

5.7 Hemi

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I think as long as you get the motor, transmission, and the re-end of coarse the computor you should be fine, the only real modification will be the drive shaft :Thumbsup

clean_rx8

Post by clean_rx8 »

thats kinda what i was thinking, and maybe the rear end. I am really excited about it, it should make a nice daily driver.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

if you wanna make it really simple, you can. the new hemi has the same @#% end as an LA block(318,340,360). so your stock tranny and drive shaft will work. slap the hemi on the tranny you have, wire up the computer and go for it. BTW, there are companies that sell a stand alone computer for the new hemi, and also carbbed manifolds for them. then all you need is the spark control box to make it work. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Yeah Trey the transmission will bolt up, then the computor won't have the necessary readings to operate, thats why if ya just get the hole package then the computor on the vehicle that is the donor will work fine :Thumbsup

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

Wait, wait wait. So you guys are telling me that a 5.7 can bolt right up to my 435, the only thing would be to re-fab the engine mounts? This sounds too good to be true. What problems would I have with the original computer if I only swapped engines? Now you guys got me :thinking
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

I'd get the tranny with it, either the 5-speed or the auto. Either way, you got an overdrive. The powerband of the motor is best suited to the tranny it comes with. You might even lose any advantage you get in performance or economy from the modern motor. Why do ya think we keep getting more and more gears in the auto trannies? :thinking

Besides, I think that it would just make the install easier IMHO. Maybe you should locate a wrecked truck and strip it in your driveway. Keep it around until you are practically done, in the event you need some little part that you forgot to grab. :pale

Don't forget to take lots of picts and share! We love project picts! :Thumbsup
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

MBigDaddyM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle, WA

Re: Modern 5.7 Hemi Engine Swap

Post by MBigDaddyM »

clean_rx8 wrote:Hey guys, I recently won a settlement on a lemon car and instead of buying a new car I am going to make my swept a daily driver with a modern drivetrain. I am thinking about going with a 5.7 Hemi out of one of the Dodge trucks and cars of the last few years. I am looking for a motor/trans to drop right in. Does anyone out there know of someone who has done this or can you think of any potential problems that i might have? It should be a fairly simple swap since our engine bays are so big. Thanks,
JT
Search Ebay I have seen the 5.7's on there for between 2500-5000. Just my two cents, but I'd get the fuel tank as well, mount it under the left framerail, modify the Swept wiring and have fuel injection. That is my plan when I have some cash, except I hope to get my hands on a 6.1. -BD
Delusions of invincibility combined with a strong homicidal urge. I have a kick-your-@#% fetish.
67 D100 CSS
69 Charger
75 Dart Sport
94 Dakota SLT

clean_rx8

Post by clean_rx8 »

yeah i would love to have a 6.1 but they are a lot harder to find and a whole lot harder to pay for.

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

Im also wondering about the flywheel, clutch, and shaft. What has to be modified there? Has anyone here done this before? Maybe I need to do some :study
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

the only thing computer related to the tranny versdus engine is the cruise control. the tranny and the engine have seperate computer systems, so you wont screw it up by not running the factory tranny. but, it would be much easier with a stand alone system. the factory wireing and such has so much extra garbage to sort thru that you wont use on an old truck its rediculas. the modern tranny will give you over drive, but youll need the computer to control it, find a place for it, wire it, modify your drive line, make a tranny mount, etc etc etc etc .. bolt the hemi to your 435 and bell, fab engine mounts, and buy the stand alone comp. wire it and go. regarless of the trany behind it, the motor still makes 345hp bone stock, with a few plug in mods, 375hp is easy. the newer tranny does give you a much better gear split, but isnt neccesary to get the potential out of the motor. plus with a newer tranny, you dont get the low granny for those towing jobs. if your still gonna use it as a truck, id stick with the 435, if your going to make it a hot rod, then by all means id go thru the hassel of a more modern tranny. but to keep it simple, all you need is some fab skills, and the engine :Thumbsup as far as flywheel etc, use whats on your truck, it will bolt to the hemi, all you got to make sure of is the pilot bearing hole is the right demention, you may need a special pilot bearing, but i believe even thats the same. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

hey slick, im on dial up, and couldnt wait for the 656 pictures to download to see the one you linked to. but im betting its the yellow one. that truck is a bit different then the topic here. he took a short bed swept, and dropped it on the frame of a short bed hemi truck. 4 wheel disc, abs, hemi, over drive tranny, 20" wheels, the works. he did it the "hard way" :Thumbsup :lol:
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Re: Modern 5.7 Hemi Engine Swap

Post by CSS-Registry »

clean_rx8 wrote:Hey guys, I recently won a settlement on a lemon car and instead of buying a new car I am going to make my swept a daily driver with a modern drivetrain. I am thinking about going with a 5.7 Hemi out of one of the Dodge trucks and cars of the last few years. I am looking for a motor/trans to drop right in. Does anyone out there know of someone who has done this or can you think of any potential problems that i might have? It should be a fairly simple swap since our engine bays are so big. Thanks,
JT
go to http://www.thehemi.com and look under the 5.7/6.1 thread... there's a guy doing the swap into an mid 80's mercedes! there's also several doing swaps into old trucks and other cars.

i post there under the handle "2SLO4U" :-)

ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y