E-brake/727 again

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

E-brake/727 again

Post by heviarti »

So, I got my E-brake shoes re-lined and now I have a whole new host of problems. First off the lining material they put in is thicker than the original (which was 3/32") 3/16 is good, and makes me happy because the drum is worn conically and needs lathed. Unfortunately, the people at both tire shops in town are apparently retards :banghead because they tell me my drum is too small to lathe. :bs I've run an ammco lathe before, and I've run it on a much smaller diameter drum, and with much less meat. I'll prolly have to go to my buddy with an actual metal lathe to do the job because of retard problems. It's not like i can just take it off and then drive the truck anywhere...

The backing plate is not really held on by anything. no screws, no bolts, just that one lousy pin. I think this is what contributed to the brake's initial failure. theres some kind of rubber thing behind the plate. does anyone know if it's still available? The one in there now seems swelled or something, and won't allow me to install the "shield" nor it's spring. I have the "shield" wired on right now to keep the backing plate from dragging because there's nothing to hold the :censored thing on.

Finally once i get the whole thing right, what's supposed to hold the return spring from coming undone? the hook on the spring is right under the lever on the brake so the :censored d4mn thing pops out every time you pull the brake?? Has anyone revamped this assembly so it works better than something designed by a brain damaged drug addicted chimp in a coma?

heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by heviarti »

anyone?

heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by heviarti »

where's jeffc?

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

As far as I know that pin is the only there to keep everything lined up.
As far as the return spring (only one spring for the shoes) there should be a wire that
holds it in place, the wire clips over the center of the backing plate (wire=brake support grease shield spring).
This wire holds the backing plate(grease shield) in place on the tail shaft housing; if seal between backing plate the tail shaft is too far gone (swollen) you will have to replace it because the wire will not allow you to clip everthing in place on the tail shaft housing. But this wire has to be installed last after grease shield is in place on the tail shaft housing with shoes and there spring in place.
I will post up a photo in few to show the hole thing
in my tech section....photo #27
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by heviarti »

so, where do i get a new rubber gumby?

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

that is a very good question and off the top of my head I don't know, but you might try kanter.com or ask around over at fowardlook.com. This type of trans with ebrake setup was used on the old castiron 727 back pre-62 in the cars. I do not know if the seal is the same but it may be worth a try. Otherwise your on your own and may have to find something to make it out of, maybe sylicon will work? agian forwardlook.com might be just the place to ask....
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!