'62 318 questions

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
crewcabdon

'62 318 questions

Post by crewcabdon »

Just aquired a 62 W 200 w/318. Some questions:

1) It has a cartidge type oil filter instead of spin on. Is there a change over?? Is it benficial??

2) Has an oil bath aircleaner and a single barrel carb??? Is there a manifold availabel to put on a 4 barrel or two barrel?? What are the recommendations to get it to have more get up??

3) My drivers side exhaust pipe goes around the front of the engine over to the passenger side??? What about running dual exhaust??

I plan on saving all the original parts, but thought it would run better with some updates. Any other suggestions??

My data tag states 164 hp @ 3900 rpm's. How much power did they have. Some books I've got show 202hp?? What is a safe power level w/ out teardown and how many rpm's is safe. Currently truck has 4.88 gears and at 55-60 she sounds like it is winding pretty tight.

I am a diesel guy, so these gas engines, even though they are simple, intigue me. I see alot of you like the old 318's, I am just looking to take care of mine and maybe get better performance.

thanks
Don

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: '62 318 questions

Post by Jeffc »

1)Yes, you can use any LA engine filter adapter so you
can use a screw on type. Find any 318 in a yard and
just take off the filter and remove the plate and nut
under it off the block (you will need a new gasket between the block and plate), it will go right into your polys block.
Some here also have the
Mopar parts number for that.
Getting the old canseter type to seal can be a pain sometimes.

2)Your Poly should have a 2 bbl carter carb. Yes, 4v intake is still made by Weiand (Holley) and you can also use the stock castiron 4v intake if you can find one (castiron is best for the truck, but the alum Weiand is not a bad intake). A 500cfm 4v carb is more than big enough for the poly truck engine (less tuning headbanging)

3)Cut it off and run duals, 1.75 to 2" exhaust works best with a stock engine. Poly engines like back pressure when stock. Headers right now are really
not possable unless you have them made custom.

200hp is the standard factory rate for the truck engine, but even in the truck the tork is always higher then the HP rate.

Since this engine is new to you, you really need to
do a valve lash on it, as it has solid lifters.
At least check the lash.
4500K rpm is about as high as it will go, though red line is 5k. Best power is between 2K and 3K rpm.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!