the worst starter noise

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
thatoneguy

the worst starter noise

Post by thatoneguy »

i was startingmy pickup this mornin and i cranked it once then cranked it again and a horrible grinding noise was coming from the starter. could this b more than the starter gear wearin out. it has always made really bad sounds after i cranked it it would always make a really rough almost grinding sound when it was in free spin. i had a feeling that it was gona crap out soon. it was 70 bucks to get a reman starter that was a 69 and 45 for one that was a year newer. would everything work right with the 70 starter.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

well i found out what was msking the noise i took the little shied off of the starter and a couple of teeth fell out. so im definatly going to need to replace the strter

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

dont replacxe the whole starter, just replace the bendix (little gear thingy). they only cost about 10 bucks and are easy to change.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

haha i didnt know that when i took it apart it didnt look like it would come apart so i went ahead and replaced the whole thing it was only 40 bucks and the starter i had the rods that the gears were on wherre pretty worn down i think it got just enough slack in it to jump gears

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Your flywheel teeth OK?
John

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

:goodpost i was thinking the same thing hob. thatoneguy you should take the inspection plate for the flywheel off and check those teeth if you haven't already
as always and sometimes not,steve

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

ya i checked it out and it looked great atleast in that one spot i got the new starter in i think its out of like a early 70S engine it has the big piece of pocelin in the front where the wiers mount. i got it all bolted up and it works great and my truck starts soooooooooo much easyer now its amaising. a fierd it up this mornin the first crank in 10 degree weather. it cranks alot faster now.