mY dodge is still BANGING, but its not in a gang...

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Slammin69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

mY dodge is still BANGING, but its not in a gang...

Post by Slammin69 »

My 69 is not a gangbanger but its still causing problems. She was making a LOUD bang when i would hit the accelerator so i got a mechanic/friend of mine to look underneath while i shifted it from neutral to drive. He said there was a lot of slop in the rear end. So i pulled the axels and put a new carrier assembly in it. The member that came out was not impessive there were bits and pieces of washer material from the spider gears everywhere and the pinion gear was as sloppy as could be. So after pouring some fresh 80- 90 in it i went for a drive the banging was lessened but still there I'm begining to think the rear end damge is a symptom not a cause. Could it be the tranny tailshaft? i dont think its the u joints but ill replace those anyway. I'm guessing its the tranny.
dirty dodges best be out yer garages!!!

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

im not an exprt but y dont you try puting it in neutral and spinning the driveline by hand and try seeing if you can see where the slop is. maybe try jacking the rear end up and see what happens

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

banging

Post by GMAN69 »

just a guess check trany mount and motor mounts also check rear springs and shackels and rear end mounting bolts for play, as for trany making noise internaly no idea good luck

taintedspeed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by taintedspeed »

incase you havent fingered it out yet, i had a very similiar problem with my 64 ply. i kept one foot on th brake and looked under the car as i went from nuetral to drive and back to reverse. i could watch the d-line turn a complete 360 before it caught, and a helluva racket it made when it did catch. turns out the lockup sprag in the tranny was toasted. i rebuilt the whoe thing while i was in there. before finding this out i replaced the rear end. good luck -Taintedspeed
all mopar all the time