carb

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

carb

Post by steven »

I have a bendix stromberg ww carb, I put a carb kit in it. I cleaned the whole carb out and I put it back on. It runs somewhat better, it idles real nice, but as soon as I munch it its not getting enough juice. the accel. pump works fine also. Anyone have any ideas?

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

carb

Post by GMAN69 »

if you are sure the carb is right and all adjustments are correct i would check the ignition timing and possible weak spark at plugs, weak coil etc. weak spark will idle but not be hot enough for accelaration.

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

I happened to look at the coil when it was dark out, and I saw that it is a spark is jumping to both terminals on the coil from inside the cap on the end. What causes this? Dirt, moisture? I cleaned it out and it still did it. Any more ideas?

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

carb

Post by GMAN69 »

if coil and wires are clean and grease free and it is arcing on coil from center, coil could be cracked voltage would follow crack could also be a wire problem you may need to replace the coil and plug wire set. this problem will reduce spark at plugs. good luck

cbody70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grimsby/ON

Post by cbody70 »

Not sure what you mean by "munch it"..."not enough juice". If you mean it hesitates or cuts out on acceleration or turning uphill then may also want to double check the float setting. Fred

69PowerWagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Banos
State: CA

Post by 69PowerWagon »

I have rebuilt 3 of these bendix WW carbs for my studebakers and in my experience stumbling on take off or lack of power on take off is usally an accel pump (or a float not adjusted right) problem. Before you installed the accel pump did you first let it soak in oil(30 weight or lighter)?

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

No I did not, It didnt tell me to in the directions. Im sure that leather would have softened up and taken shape a lot better. I did get new plugs and wires, that helped a ton. Im sure though if I get someone who knows how to tune a carb up good to take a look it should get some of the bugs out. I'll remember that for next time, thanks :Thumbsup

Steve
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

69PowerWagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Banos
State: CA

Post by 69PowerWagon »

I learnd that the hard way. I was having problems with my 62 Studebaker right after a carb rebuild so I took it to a tune up shop and the old mechanic there told me about first soaking the pump in oil.

It's too bad you live so far from me as I know a good deal about adjusting these carbs.

steven
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by steven »

That would be nice. Wisconsin. It happens to be in the middle of the country but too far north that only crazy people live here. :joker
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5speed
1971 Dodge Challenger #'s 383/727
1974 Dodge D600 318 5+2
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins HO

Disco
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Disco »

I acquired a 66 D200 ¾ ton two weeks ago and am trying to resurrect her. She was running ~1 year ago and she turns over but will not start. The previous owner couldn’t figure out why she had “stopped runnenâ€