Rear end gear oil

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
joe71

Rear end gear oil

Post by joe71 »

After pulling the axle on my 71 D200 I lost some of the gear oil. Can anyone recommend a type of gear oil i should use? and should i use an additive no one really seems to know.

docproc

Post by docproc »

Joe, welcome to the site. I ended up driving my 70 D200 from Washington state to Florida and was doing some freshening up before my trip and one of the things I did was change the rear end grease. I went with mobil 1 rear end lube. It was fully synthetic and cost a little more than the regular stuff. Within 1500 miles of freeway driving the rear started to loosen up a bit as I was noticing my engine speed starting to decrease at a given speed. With a 4.10 I used to be turning at 2950 at 60 mph, now the motor turns at 2800 at 60 mph. I did not use any additives. Just my 2 cents......Dr. P

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

rear-end lube

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I know the oil is a 90 weight, I think 80w90 someone will correct me :thinking I don't have my bottle with me or I'd go in the garage and look.

joe71

Rear End

Post by joe71 »

Thank's Dr.P/Robin. When changing the oil did you use a replacement gasket or just some type of sealant?

docproc

Post by docproc »

I have the dana 60 and I used silicon sealant......Dr.P.

heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by heviarti »

80 or 90 should be good. sometimes a multi viscosity oil will cause howl.

as to additives I recommend slick 50 manual transmission treatment.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

heviarti, does the slick(sick) 50 have the teflon like there oil junk , if so dont use as it will start glogging up , Thats why they slow down on all there tv adds about start-up's & most dealers wont cover a warrenty if it's found in the engine
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

bean
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cuba
State: AL

Post by bean »

Just put the rear end in the 65 today... i know i used 90 weight...but im not sure what brand.
1965 Utiline D100 Shorty.../6...3spd...orange...102,000 miles.

1970 Shortbox D100...318...727...almond white..467,000 miles...currently in restoration..

1991 Dodge Ram 50

1968 C@^^@R()
My web page: http://www.myspace.com/chainsawdudewitprobs

heviarti
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by heviarti »

I'm not sure what all is in the tranny shmeeze, but I can vouch for it's results on any bearing. we had a heater at the shop with a squeaky fan. someone oiled it, and it was squalling within two days. a drop of slick 50 manual trans, it hasn't made so much as a chirp since. did as good a job on tranny, diff, winch, transfer case... it's good stuff.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

rearend

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I use gasket and permatex don't want any leaks :Thumbsup

Highcountry

Slippery Rear!!!

Post by Highcountry »

...75W90, 75W85, 85W140??? The viscosity really doesn't make much difference! What is REALLY important is make SURE the lube you use is rated GL-5 and nothing else. A differential is a "hypoid" arangement, which means the gears "slide" against one another which requires GL-5 lube. I personally prefer ROYAL PURPLE lubes, highest tech available in my opinion.

Thanks, Bruce