Coolant leak through header bolts

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
oneowner71
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Fort Worth, TX

Coolant leak through header bolts

Post by oneowner71 »

OK, so after finally getting the radiator hoses found and installed, I made the attempt to fill the Challenger with coolant. Anyway, the coolant found its way out around every header bolt in the 383 that hits the water jacket. I assume it has to do with the header bolts... I have the split style with the adjuster in the center. The thought of leaking coolant never crossed my mind during install, and now it will be hell trying to swap those out. So to the question... Do you guys think it is as simple as leaks from the bolts, and what are the best bolts out there for holding down headers, seeing as I will probably need new ones? I'd prefer not to run the studs back down on them, as that makes things difficult in that engine compartment... All thoughts appreciated. ALL I WANT TO DO IS BREAK IN MY CAM!!!!
Thanks, Clint
1971 D-100, 318 3-spd
1970 Dude, 383 / A727
1974 Challenger, 383/A727 (451 5-speed, someday)
1971 Plymouth Satellite,
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

I've always used socket-head cap screws. They don't need lockwashers since the round heads won't vibrate loose. Some of the bolts are tough to get an allen socket on. I made a tool for them by cutting about 3/4" off the end of an allen wrench. You can then use that stub piece and a box end to tighten or loosen the problem children.

To prevent leaks, I use liquid teflon on the bolt/stud threads in the holes drilled into the water jacket. (works on the front cover bolts too) I also use never-seize on the exhaust bolts going into a blind hole.

Good Luck!

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

CLINT , i'VE ALWAYS RUN THE STUDS ON THE ENDS for the reason of easy line up , & no leaks & I use the standadr header bolts , a real pain but worth it in the long run , now GO BRAKE IN THAT CAM
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE