gas smell 170 a100

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
shelby

gas smell 170 a100

Post by shelby »

Occassionaly I smell gas in the van. For example after I have driven and stopped briefly. The carb is recently rebuilt, sealed and clean and I have new hoses and filters which didn't solve the problem. Also the motor doesn't function well on less than half a tank. So, I am assuming that it must be the fuel pump/sending unit? I don't know what part to replace or rebuild can anyone give me a clue, a part number and a plan? no fuel can be seen leaking.

1965 a100 170 holley 2barrel

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

smell gas

Post by GMAN69 »

howdy

im not sure but i have heard that if motor runs poorly or stops half tank or below it can be that gas tank is not venting properly its something to check good luck.

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

I had the same problem on my '68w100. It would crap out like it was running out of gas after only using 6-7 gal out of the 18 gal in cab tank.

It took awhile to figure out, but it turned out to be the rubber hose between the tank pickup tube and the hard-line that runs up front to the fuel pump. It was the original hose, had gotten hard and was cracked on the inside. This let enough air past the OEM wire clamp that the fuel pump would loose prime.

shelby

Post by shelby »

Cool thanks. I think the gas cap is quite loose and therefore vented so I decided to replace the pump and the gas line from the tank as you suggest. It will be a few days before it arrives to me here in la paz through napa and monday we begin a complete repaint inside and out plus underneath which might take a month according to rumors. woo hooo the car looks great now but I have to fight back the rust here living in dusty windy streets at the waters edge. I'll report back asap!

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

I didn't replace either of the steel lines (fuel pickup line out of the tank & the main fuel line), just the rubber hose that connects the two. I also replaced the 2 OEM wire clamps with new screw type clamps.